Renvyle House

Newbie!

Hi, Just booking this for a few days break. Has anyone been here before...any comments???

lovely place was there a few years back for a murder mystery weekend, drive from dublin is a killer though, although with new galway run might be easier. Its a good 2 hours from galway city. I still remember the food it was so yummy!

Friend brought her hubby there for his 40th recently for two nights and they loved it. Great reports back.

Nice hotel - and food

Remote.

Nice beach nearby also

Lake for fishing in front oh hotel.

Thumbs up from me, too. Great food, great service, idyllic setting. You won't want to leave!

Beautiful place - lovely walks around the whole Renvyle area - 1 1/2 hours will take you out from Galway City.

BM

Lovely location. Hotel staff and food first class and for anyone who likes a lie-in they serve breakfast until late, around 11 am I think. Highly recommended. Enjoy!

I loved it too. Road from Galway is slow going but spectacular scenery in places so try to relax & enjoy.

Shook hands with John Prine there last year , gentleman if ever there was one !! Loved the setting, food, rowing on the lake, 9-hole golf. Will do it again !!

Strange. I had a bad experience there many years ago and I have never gone back. We brought our 3 boys, small at the time, we asked for adjoining rooms but were given rooms on separate floors. The hotel was booked out and they refused to change rooms for us. When I complained I was told that I should have asked for side by side rooms.
Also I clearly remember that we were there at the end of June and in to July. The menu changed for the better on the 1 st July, the dead flies were eventually cleared from the windowsill and they cut the outside grass.
It's strange how a bad experience can turn you off a place for life.

The hotel was booked out and they refused to change rooms for us.

I'm really curious about this remark of yours: what did you expect them to do? Where did you expect them to get the room to move you to if the hotel was full? My guess is that they didn't want to inconvenience anyone by asking them to move.

By the way, I was less than impressed with the place when I visited a few years ago, despite the good reports I'd heard. It was a few years ago though, so maybe the place has changed.

I'm really curious about this remark of yours: what did you expect them to do? Where did you expect them to get the room to move you to if the hotel was full? My guess is that they didn't want to inconvenience anyone by asking them to move.

We had prebooked weeks ahead and were staying a number of nights. The fully booked rooms were made up of one night coach tour groups. I guess they didn't want to inconvenience anyone....except us.

I found the staff not very friendly at all. As I said previously this was a number of years ago under different management. The point I was making is that I have never given them a second chance since then. Once bitten twice shy type of thing.

I'm really curious about this remark of yours: what did you expect them to do? Where did you expect them to get the room to move you to if the hotel was full? My guess is that they didn't want to inconvenience anyone by asking them to move

I can understand your point about the move but as BOXtheFOX has explained they could have made the change after the coach tour had departed.

Poor management of rooms though on the part of the hotel. As it would be dangerous to leave 3 young children in a room on their own on a different floor this would have entailed the parents having to split up. Splitting the family up would take from the enjoyment of the holiday. Some hotels offer connecting doorways. Hopefully the new management would handle this type of booking better.

Some reviews

also that may contain reference to this hotel.

OK - point taken. What I'd expect is that they should have said something along the lines of "no rooms together the first night, but we'll organise it for the next night", along with suitable apologies. The way you phrased it, it sounded like you were expecting them to rustle up a room out of nowhere.

I'd agree about once bitten etc.: we were staying in the area (Ballynahinch Castle - highy recommended) a few years ago and called into Renvyle House for lunch one day, having heard good reports. We eventually walked out, having had a frustrating time even getting anyone to even talk to us. Never went back. It was a few years ago, though.

Why not look at the excellent site? Renvyle House has been reviewed many times & gets an average rating of 4 out of 5. One of the main criticisms relates to when a visit coincides with a wedding so if you are booking check this out first.

thanks for all the replies. I have booked it anwyay as alot of the complaints were things that probably wouldnt effect/bother me too much. will definitely post back here in a few weeks and give feedback.

thanks,