Renting v's buying a car in the US

mrstayto

Hi all,

I'm moving to the US (east coast) for a year and require a car for work.

I've been quoted $ 966.75 per month to rent a Hyundai Accent (with insurance included) for the year. I'm thinking that it may be cheaper to buy a second-hand car, arrange insurance, and sell it on when I leave.

Has anyone any experience of renting a car/buying one in the US and what would you recommend?

Thanks a million!

Second-hand gas-guzzlers are cheap to buy and cheap to run (relative to here).

For a lot less than half the $11.6k you've been quoted you'll get a perfectly serviceable reliable car / truck / SUV that will still have some residual value when you finish up. The only issue may be insurance (with only an Irish licence?) Maybe arm yourself with an [broken link removed] from AA Ireland before you go. We used to have to get these in the good old days before Irish licences had a photo.

Ask a friend / soon to be colleague / employer's HR dept to get you addresses of local newspapers / local car mags / websites to peruse before you go. Maybe they could view / vet likely purchases for you.

Have a nice day, missing you already!

Thanks a million! I've sorted myself out with an IDP.

Think I'm going to rent one for the first month, just to save hassle, and then buy one after that.

Thanks for the advice!