Renting v's buying a car in the US

mrstayto

Hi all,

I'm moving to the US (east coast) for a year and require a car for work.

I've been quoted $ 966.75 per month to rent a Hyundai Accent (with insurance included) for the year. I'm thinking that it may be cheaper to buy a second-hand car, arrange insurance, and sell it on when I leave.

Has anyone any experience of renting a car/buying one in the US and what would you recommend?

Thanks a million!

Second-hand gas-guzzlers are cheap to buy and cheap to run (relative to here).

For a lot less than half the $11.6k you've been quoted you'll get a perfectly serviceable reliable car / truck / SUV that will still have some residual value when you finish up. The only issue may be insurance (with only an Irish licence?) Maybe arm yourself with an [broken link removed] from AA Ireland before you go. We used to have to get these in the good old days before Irish licences had a photo.

Ask a friend / soon to be colleague / employer's HR dept to get you addresses of local newspapers / local car mags / websites to peruse before you go. Maybe they could view / vet likely purchases for you.

Have a nice day, missing you already!

Thanks a million! I've sorted myself out with an IDP.

Think I'm going to rent one for the first month, just to save hassle, and then buy one after that.

Thanks for the advice!

Back