Renting a DVD recorder to record programs from UPC box.

beffers

Anyone know where I can rent a DVD recorder/burner in the Dublin city center?

I am a UPC customer with a UPC box that I can record programs on. I have a lot of recorded stuff on it that I do not want to delete. However, they are hogging almost 75% of my recording storage capacity, and it is impacting my ability to record other stuff, TV series mainly. I would really like to burn these programs onto a DVD disc that I can use if and when I want to watch them again. If I buy a DVD player with a recording function that would do the trick, but that seems like a terrible waste of money, just to do a once off recording/burning of programs. Any suggestions of where I could hire a DVD recorder for just a day or so? Cheers. Thanks.

They are so cheap these days that it would make little sense for a company to rent them out.

Surely you can find a friend with a DVD recorder and borrow theirs.

But it's probably better to buy one and then you can use it to play them back on your TV and you can transfer stuff at your leisure.

Brendan

If you've got a lot of programmes, it might take longer than you think to transfer them to DVD if the UPC box works the same way as the Sky+ box.

If I want to transfer a programme from my Sky+ box to a DVD I have to actually play the programme and set the DVD to record - so if I've got 6 hrs of TV programmes to transfer, it'll take 6 hrs (assuming it all goes smoothly!). And while it's copying, I can't watch anything else.

It's not possible to "copy and paste" programmes with the Sky+ box - as I said, I'm not sure if the UPC box works the same way.

If you're in the habit on holding on to recorded content, you'll probably have the same requirement every few months, so buy one ?

It might be cheaper to buy the box-set DVDs of the TV shows in question that to rent or buy a DVD recorder.

Thanks for the advice. Will probably wind up buying a recorder. Found one at Argos for only 160 euros, so that is not too bad. Borrowing one from a friend or getting box sets is not an option for me.

Recording to DVD via a PC/laptop may also be an option depending on the connection options on the computer.

Back