Renting a car in US

Ron Burgundy

i'm off to Orlando next jan and been there many times before but never rented a car, we are thinking of doing it this time.

the price to rent the car is 425, should we pay 21 a day extra for the "accidental damage cover" or is insurance necessary. Is there a cheaper optionn 21 a day seems steep ???

its with alamo ?

the 21 a day may seem steep, but take a look at the excess without it?

Particularly as most cars are much bigger than we're used to here, even an accident not your fault, ie not a crash, but when you're parked, theft etc, can result in you paying a substatial excess.

The nature of insurance, You decide if the risk is worth it?

indeed but i do find 21 per day steep, i think i'll look at other vendors and see are there any better deals in that area.

They all charge around 15 to 20 a day for full coverage. Bear in mind that without it Hertz for example will sting you for a $1100 excess. The rest are all similar.

Does your credit card offer free collision damage waiver on car rentals made with the card?

It may do. You will need to confirm this with your card issuer and ask the hire company if the cover provided is acceptable to them.

You need to be sure that the rate you have been quoted includes limited CDW and LDW as many US rates do not! You did not say whether rates were in US$ or Euro but you should be aware that while you might purchase additional cover to elliminate the excess in case of accident, you also need to purchase similar in case of theft (combined known as Super CDW & LDW). If you can post car model, dates , pickup etc.. I will see is there a better deal available.Bear in mind that discounts apply for members of AA (Automobile Association!!) , MBNA, and Visa to name but a few.

Also bear in mind that car rental in the US is generally cheap, and they make a lot of money selling extra insurance. What is the excess? Would you pay an extra 200 to cover a 1,000 excess? I wouldn't, (I figure there's less than a one in five chance of me having an accident) but that's just me.

But you never know what could happen. You could wake up one morning to find the car gone, or worse still if in LA full of bullet holes! :eek:

We have used www.nova.co.uk in the past, about 5 occasions, and had no problems, they use Alamo but were always cheaper than Alamo directly. The price you pay includes ALL insurances etc, have a look a their website, it's fairly clear as to what it includes (unlike Alamo's own website).

I have no affiliation to them or Alamo.

Back