renting a car France

johnmck

Going to France at the end of August for a week. 4 adults.
We want to rent a car. I was thinking of something like a nissan micra - but not sure if that would hold 4 small bags and 2 large bags.

What to rent? and who to rent from?

I've always found the hertz link on the ryanair website to be very competitive, just put any local fight no. in.

Going to France at the end of August for a week. 4 adults.
We want to rent a car. I was thinking of something like a nissan micra - but not sure if that would hold 4 small bags and 2 large bags.

What to rent? and who to rent from?

Don't think the Micra will be comfortable wth 4 adults and that baggage. Economy Car Rentals and Budget Car(googlr them) I have used in past as well as Hertz. All fine, one of these is a comparison site so you can check several sites at once.

I used Avis in France last year. for a wife and 2 kids we got a VW Gold with AC (a must for that time of year). just about had enough boot room for us.

found them very good. booked from ireland, no problems.

As said above the hertz link on Ryanair is worth a try. Got a insignia last year in la Rochelle (had booked a focus but got upgraded). Had a problem with bill at end and hertz sorted it quickly. Didn't expect it would get sorted so easily so would go hertz again.

I have heard stories that when you are upgraded that you are also upgraded to a bigger petrol tank that you have to "fill" before handing car back. Is this true?

Made sure tank was full before taking the car. Didn't take any notice of a bigger tank etc. It was a diesel as well which helped.

Much better to fill on return. At least you only pay for what you use.

I made sure the rental was not a "return with empty" as you always have a decent bit left in the tank

John,
I use Ebookers.ie. They will search all the big car hire companies and show you a comparison of the prices for each company & size of car. You can then compare this price to that quoted directly with the car hire company.

Hertz have special offers at the moment via the Ryanair or AerLingus websites. Booked a car last week and saved about €150.

I've gotten good rates with Hertz in France recently too

Definitely with 4 Adults get something bigger than a Micra equivalent

Go for at least a "Compact" class car - which is a Focus / Golf / Astra or equivalent .. that should be fine for four adults without too much baggage - the cost difference up from an "Economy" car (Micra equivalent) is usually pretty small.

Per the fuel comments above - always avoid the fuel purchase option (even if they offer it when you rent the car you can always decline it) - it's very rarely a good deal (because it's hard to use a precisely full tank of fuel) - take the car full and fill it up before you return it