Rental - Spanish Appartment -> 100% of money now!

gocall01

As the heading says:
We are in the throws of booking an apartment in southern Spain for 2 weeks, end of June, start of July.

It is through a letting agency (seems ok but who knows) and they what 100% payment to be transferred to their account straight away.
Is this normal?
I thought a deposit and full payment on arrival would be acceptable.

Any feedback appreciated.

A sizeable deposit and the balance on arrival would be the norm. What's the name of the letting agency?

A reasonable deposit is acceptable. If you feel uncomfortable with the full amount of payment talk to them and they will probably agree to payment when you arrive at the apartment.
Also you might suggest that they meet you at the apartment with the key - therefore there is no risk to their securing the balance of payment

It is not uncommon to pay in full up to 4 weeks before the holiday date.
It is safest to book from property advertised with a reputable agency who monitor their clients like Trip-advisors.
Enjoy your holiday
Browtal

I rent there regularly and usually only pay a deposit on booking (typically 20-30%) and balance on arrival. Thats the norm , I would'nt pay 100% upfront its too risky. There's plenty of fine properties to rent there , shop around.

Generally you pay a deposit with the balance to be paid in full six weeks before arrival. As you are just within 6 weeks, looking for the full amount might be the norm. Is the property listed on www.holiday-rentals.co.uk and does it have any reviews from previous guests?

30% deposit and the balance 6 weeks before arrival is pretty the norm. If you pay by credit card or PayPal you have more protection if things go wrong. While their are some scams, there are also hugh amounts of honest owners and agents. Enjoy your holiday.

There are 7 or 8 weeks to run before "Gocall01" inhabits the apartment he booked. I have a feeling there is more to this than meets the eye e.g how much is being charged for the fortnight?, Is there a deposit against breakages?, What quality is the accommodation? Who is renting? How many will be sharing the apartment? To give a true answer I feel these questions would need to be answered fully.

The orginal question posed was:- Is it acceptable to pay 100% of the charges 7 or 8 weeks before the holiday?

My answer (without my questions being answered) is:- No.

Holiday Rental Agencies in Spain are as plentiful as rain here. Anybody can open up a Rental Agency there. The agencies make their money through commission and pay their staff through commission. Many of them close inside a short period of being in business. Some of them dream up charges for the tenants and also for the people letting out their holiday homes. I wouldn't touch most Holiday Rental Agencies with a 40ft barge-pole.

Neither would I risk (depending on the amount) paying 100% up-front especially to an agency.

My advice is to cut any losses (even at this late stage) and rent directly from a holiday home owner in the same area and in todays financial climate that would not be difficult.

We have received the paperwork to fill out but I am still worried about paying 100% prior to traveling.
Unfortunately I do not have this paperwork with me when typing this.

The background is, we are traveling with another family, they have access to a parents villa/apartment about 40 minutes south west of Alicante.
We (2+2) found this house on-line which is in the same complex/phase as them which would work out perfectly.

The on-line photos look good and we would be happy with it based on this and previous holidaying experiences.
Cost for 13 nights = €800 including air con (from memory but think it is correct) - payable NOW!.
NO MONEY HAS BEEN TRANSFERRED TO DATE.

€150 deposit payable on arrival (when keys are collected at property).

We have already questioned the possibility of paying even 50% and 50% on arrival but this has been refused.
A part of me then says if it was a scam won't they just take the 50% and run...

I know in all likelihood everything would be fine but I don't want to be the 1 in 100.

Last edited:
Our first experience of doing this type of holiday was last year. We agreed £400 for the apartment (Tenerife with Owners Direct). £100 sterling cheque was sent to an address in England, the remaining £300 was paid cash on arrival, together with another £100 security/breakage deposit. This £100 was refunded last day.

Maybe times have changed and people want their money up front?