Rental Property - Tenants Sub-Letting

S

Stu

I live in a complex with apartments & town houses. The house beside mine is currently let to a family. They have recently sub-let one room of the house to another individual, who is obviously no relation to the tenants. Another family a few doors down is doing the same thing. The families in both houses know each other. The individuals renting a room in each house also know each other.

I have made the management company aware of the situation as I believe the landlord (or landlords) should be informed of this possible breach of agreement.

However, I also believe both these families to be recipients of health board/social welfare allowances for the rent of the property. How would I go about reporting this to the health board/welfare? What department would be responsible for this.

Thanks,
Stu

can I ask why it bothers you? it's not as if they are dealing drugs? maybe it's just that, they get an allowance because they're hard up and would do anything to make ends meet so they rent out their spare room for a few extra bob? aren't you glad it's not prostitution or drug dealing?

it bothers me for a number of reasons:

1) They are breaking the tenancy agreement. If they are prepared to break the tenancy/lease agreement on this pretty serious matter, they won't think twice about breaking it for such trivial issues as a) satelitte dishes b) clothes lines c) unruly children d) late night parties e) damage to common areas etc etc. All of these affect the enjoyment of my home.

2) If they're getting an allowance from the health board they are most likely breaking the law by sub-letting one of the rooms. They would be claiming a substantial allowance for the house on the basis that they need a house that size. If they let one of the rooms...obviously they don't need a house that size. Who's paying for the allowance? Myself, my wife and all other taxpayers. Who's pocketing the extra money from the lodger? My neighbours!

Re your reference to prostitution or drug dealing...I wouldn't be entirely suprised if the were involved in such things.

have you suffered late night parties, noise and general mayhem? Is it a simple case that you just don't get on with your neighbours or maybe have something against them? would clothes lines and satelite dishes really affect the enjoyment of living inside your own home? or is it because they are of a "type" and you'd like them out of the area?

i could understand if there was serious issues here and that you were likely to suffer terribly but this seems like nit picking on your behalf?

gongey said:
have you suffered late night parties, noise and general mayhem? Is it a simple case that you just don't get on with your neighbours or maybe have something against them? would clothes lines and satelite dishes really affect the enjoyment of living inside your own home? or is it because they are of a "type" and you'd like them out of the area?

i could understand if there was serious issues here and that you were likely to suffer terribly but this seems like nit picking on your behalf?

Maybe it is nitpicking on his first point but if his assumption about the social welfare part is true then that is a valid point, social welfare fraud effects all taxpayers (and other more deserving social welfare recipients as it diminishes the funds available to provide them with services).

I agree with Dam099. Plus, most leases have a clause in them where it says that the tenant cannot sub-let the house / apt.

However, maybe the landlord is aware of this and is OK with the teanants doing this.

have you suffered late night parties, noise and general mayhem?
Yes. A lot as it happens. I also suffer from the two lodgers sitting outside my house drinking, smoking and littering the place several evenings a week.

Is it a simple case that you just don't get on with your neighbours or maybe have something against them?
I've never actually spoken to them, apart from the occasional hello.

would clothes lines and satelite dishes really affect the enjoyment of living inside your own home?
Yes they do, they are unsightly. More to the point, they are against the terms of the lease for houses in the complex. Nobody is allowed erect these, but many do. It's a small but significant indicator that these people don't actually care what the rules are, they'll do as they please.

or is it because they are of a "type" and you'd like them out of the area?
Yes, they are of a type - but it's got nothing to do with race, religion or social class. They are the type who are quite happy to take the system for a ride and abuse it where possible.

As biggerry pointed out, it's possible that the landlord knows about it and is quite happy about it. If this is the case, and there's no health board allowances involved, then that'll be the end of it.

Back