Rent private office to limited company

P

planner

Hi. I am currently operating as a sole trader but considering becoming a limited company. A friend mentioned to me that one of the main advantages of becoming a limited company is that you can purchase an office in a private capacity and then rent it to your company. You receive guaranteed rent while the company can write off rent against tax bill. Seems to be good to be true. Does anybody have experience of this or know where I can get more information? Any help would be much appreciated.

I think there are recent threads on AAM about this topic. Do a search. Remember the company may get a write off but you have rental income to declare, less any allowable expenses such as mortgage interest etc.

Yes this is possible but for the life of me I can't see how it is "too good to be true".

Rents from the company will be taxable at your marginal rate of income tax.

Tax writeoffs don't mean a whole lot for the company when the Corporation Tax rate is 12.5%. The company can also claim a similar writeoff in respect of rents paid to third party landlords.

Thanks for reply. Sorry about duplication of post, first time posting and realised it was not in right section.