Rent or sell former residence in US?

AngelaD

I could use guidance.
Possibly the only good decision I made was buying my former home in the States 20 years ago.
Since then I left employment to stay home and raise kids, returned to Ireland almost a decade ago (for husbands job - which did not work out).
Now at 50 I am in Ireland with a very heavy mortgage (530K), 2 teenagers. Husband is unable to find work here.
The good news is that the mortgage is paid off on the US home, which is in my name. I am doing a small bit of teaching in Ireland (not a fulltime job, just a few hours weekly) and renting out a room on the house here, but the mortgage is well beyond my means to cover alone.
The house in US was rented sporadically. We did not have a great experience with property management company, so it has sit vacant for over a year.
Husband now has a job in another US state and his company will pay closing costs on the property (20-30K) as part of relocation. He wants to sell it.
The market seems to be holding up due to reduced inventory and there is a cash offer at the moment. (380K) - which I need to respond to today.
Husband wants me to quick-deed the house to him to avoid Irish taxes (as he is not Irish and does not reside in Ireland at the moment)
Considering how vulnerable I am financially--should I keep it myself, as an income stream? (According to husband it could clear 1k a month after tax)
Or is it best to sell now and have a cushion?
My preference would be to stay in Ireland, and retire here but having only worked a few months here (teaching) I'm aware that I haven't built up any stamps, and don't know if I'd qualify for state pension. (I have 10 years of paying taxes in the states while employed there)
Any savings I had were wiped out on a bad property investment in the US, so my savings, pension, stock etc. are all gone.

*I am not 100% sure which forum to put this into, so mods please move if you think it would be better placed elsewhere*

Perhaps you should be looking to downsize, there's no point to be living in a half a million plus euro home when the mortgage is unaffordable.

If I were in your shoes, I would be grabbing the 380k from Your house in America. It would go some way to setting you up here especially seeing you have two teenage children.

You have 18 more years to work here before you would become eligible for the Irish Contributory pension. Your ten years Contributions in the States can be added to your Irish contributions under Social Security arrangements between the two countries. You probably won't be eligible for the full state pension as changes are in the horizon but you would get a good percentage. Good luck hope it all works out for you.

Last edited:
Back