Rent of affordable home - update?

paddy111199

Hi I know this has been asked before but just looking to see has there been any changes to the a/h rent situation?

I asked DSCC for permission last year before but got a "no".

Does anyone know if the policy has changed or will be changing any time soon?

Thanks

I discussed this with DCC last year and they said that although their policy is to not allow AH to be rented, they don't police it either.

I stongly got the impression that they wouldn't care either way because they know that people can't sell and it's the only option available if you want/need to move.

I'm gonna rent mine in March/April.

Everyones doing it, I went into them and they even told me they would turn a blind eye but if someone reports you if your tennants become an issue.... but bottom line they aint looking as long as you are paying your mortgage and there is no hassle. I have asked to show where it forbids this for 6 years and they never answered, I think what they are clinging onto is the fact that it must remain your PPR.

I'm waiting one more year then I'm renting mine, I have to, theres four of us in a one bed. Dont really give a monkeys at this stage to be honest! No one seems to be playing by the rules any more.

SDCC and Fingal now allow it. DCC say they will allow it as long as your mortgage is with a bank and not them. However, they also say they probably won't interfere in either case as long as the mortgage is being paid.

Brooklyn,

Was that info got in writing from SDCC or Fingal?

No. There was a Times article about it a while ago:
[broken link removed]

I asked councillors in each council to verify this and both came back to me and confirmed that the council had told them (verbally) that they would allow it.

Brooklyn,

Sound for that. Could you pm me the councillors who confirmed this. Trying to get cork CC to do the same for me

Brooklyn
I read the article on your hyperlink. I have underlined something that might be of very high significance for anyone wanting to avail of this. The clawback rate, they dont mention anything else about it. .i.e (what exactly the new rate is or what infuences it the hike). They only menion if you are emigrating or moving to your parents house. I'm sure there are other exceptions but would assume ANYTHING with this shower.

"
Since last year Fingal County Council has allowed owners of affordable housing to rent out their homes if they are emigrating or moving to their parent’s house. If they sell the house at a profit after 10 years, however, they will have to pay a higher claw-back than they would have had to otherwise. Dublin City Council and Dún Laoghaire Rathdown said there have been no changes to their current schemes.

I spoke to someone in DCC about it recently and they said their law dept doesn't allow it and they have to go by what they say.I asked what would the law dept do if they found out and they said they'd send out a letter pointing out that you cannot rent out your affordable home,no other action was mentioned.
the only thing they did say was that your TRS would be cancelled which suggests to me that they are actually allowing it but not officially coming out and saying it..

I had to leave and rent out my house which i explained to Fingal cc. To be honest i had no other choice and i told them so.
They sent me out a form to fill in that allows rental for a number of years.
They were quite understanding and think that they are just happy to have rent paid.
Once you pay your taxes, register prtb etc. you are good to go.

Does anyone know if the other County Councils other than Fingal are allowing it (when your circumstances change and you have no other choice)?

I had to leave and rent out my house which i explained to Fingal cc. To be honest i had no other choice and i told them so.
They sent me out a form to fill in that allows rental for a number of years.
They were quite understanding and think that they are just happy to have rent paid.
Once you pay your taxes, register prtb etc. you are good to go.

What are the CGT implications of renting out, going ligit? Did you move your PPR? Does it not then become a investment property which will be subject to CGT when you sell paying both CGT and clawback (if any).

It would certainly be liable to CGT if there was any gain on disposal however you can write off the years it was your PPR. I wouldn't imagine too many people would be making a gain so it may not be something to worry about too much.

tks Bobbyg, if you do lease out it will be like splitting hairs when you try to sell and insure all the t's are crossed and i's are dotted. and then whats to stop the authorities coming backing to you in your golden years to say oh, you had one of those affordable housing units, we noticed that you lease it out and you forgot to do section bla and carry the 1 so now we are conducting an audit on you and take whatever they like from you, just like the states i.e. Make an accusation then you have to prove otherwise.

This system is a disaster aint it guys!

Thought I'd update this thread.
I've been renting my house since March of last year,couldn't afford the mortgage any more so had no option.
Thought I'd be found out at various hurdles along the way but so far so good.
I registered the tennancy with the prtb,no repercussions.
I cancelled the trs,no repercussions.
I paid the nppr,no repercussions.
I paid the tax that was due on my 2011 rental income and preliminary tax for 2012.
I have done everything 100% legit without actually openly telling the council that I'm renting my house but at this stage they must know what's going on.
So long as the mortgage is being paid they don't seem to care..

Thought I'd update this thread.
I've been renting my house since March of last year,couldn't afford the mortgage any more so had no option.
Thought I'd be found out at various hurdles along the way but so far so good.
I registered the tennancy with the prtb,no repercussions.
I cancelled the trs,no repercussions.
I paid the nppr,no repercussions.
I paid the tax that was due on my 2011 rental income and preliminary tax for 2012.
I have done everything 100% legit without actually openly telling the council that I'm renting my house but at this stage they must know what's going on.
So long as the mortgage is being paid they don't seem to care..

How does it feel to know you have gone through all that trouble to act as an illegal agent working for The Council's financial interest? Of course their not going to say anything, youre covering their losses and if there is a dispute in future, your at fault, not them. Get it official, get it in writing, I dont know why on earth they wont just allow this ligitimately.

This is a copy of a standard transfer order that i finally received of Cork CC detailing the condition re renting of a house.

4. The following Special Conditions shall apply to the dwelling house and premises for a period of twenty years from the date of the vesting of the dwelling house and premises.

(a) The dwelling house and premises shall, unless the Housing Authority otherwise allow, be occupied as a normal place of residence by the Purchasers or the Purchasers’ successor in title or by a member of the Purchasers’ family or the family of his or her successor in title.

(b) The dwelling house and premises or any part thereof shall not, without the consent of the Housing Authority, be mortgaged, charged, or alienated otherwise than by devise or operation of law.

JBM14,

This is Cork City Council you are dealing with ????????? I've been banging my head with these guys wnating to do the same thing but each time the answer is no - but they won't put in writing. At least you've got some formal reply.

Paul,

I'm at a loss about what to do next. Cork CC are using the standard line of we are waiting for direction from the minister. I spoke to the local TD who is looking into it. However I'm afraid we are stuck in limbo until the government issue a directive. God only knows when that will be.....

Back