Rent house but keep room

Mart.Cobh

Hello, I have a question that I don't think has been answered by anybody else here as of yet. I am going to start working abroad soon and will be renting my house out to family friends. My work contract means I will be 3 weeks on 1 week off and for this week off I will be home so will need somewhere to stay. My house has a granny flat so I will keep this for myself and the tenants are happy with this. Any advice on what to do?
Do I register with the rtb?
How does this work with tax as it's my main residence here but I will not qualify for rent a room scheme as I'll be paying tax in another EU country?
Any advice appreciated thanks.

How long is your contract abroad?

Is accomodation provided for you in your 3 weeks stay?

Will this property remain your PPR?

How long is your contract abroad?

Is accomodation provided for you in your 3 weeks stay?

Will this property remain your PPR?
It will be for a year anyway I would think and to be honest I'll prob keep working abroad.

Yes accomodation will be provided abroad

Three weeks away and one week home so nine months of the year I'll be away but for the three months I'll be home I'll be in my own house. I don't have any other property and don't want to leave it unoccupied.

My house has a granny flat so I will keep this for myself and the tenants are happy with this. Any advice on what to do?
Do I register with the rtb?
In order to avoid RTB registration and stick to a license agreement, you must retain access to the main house within which they are staying. Giving them unfettered access will mean registration is required and they will gain Part 4 rights after 6 months.

In order to avoid RTB registration and stick to a license agreement, you must retain access to the main house within which they are staying. Giving them unfettered access will mean registration is required and they will gain Part 4 rights after 6 months.
Ok so I spoke to the tax office and RTB. Tax office said it is not my main residence as I'm living and paying taxes abroad so I would need to declare it in January and they will issue a tax credit on the rent and tax it? They also said I need to declare it with the RTB. I then rang RTB and they obviously couldn't advise on tax but stated as I'm only there 1 week out of 4 it would need to be registered. Next problem now is a contract of sorts for this....

Back