rent car in USA

ramlal

Hi All

I have booked a car in USA from a rental company on their web site. In the web site if I choose the option that I am a US resident then price is cheaper as compared to if I choose to be a resident of Ireland.

So I choose resident of US. So I am just wondering if that is ok. Has anybody tried that ? Can I get in trouble because of that

Regards

what will you do when they ask to see your passport or drivers licence when you call into the office to pick up the car (and you start talking with a paddy accent)?

i think i read before (on here maybe so do a search) that saying you are US resident suggests to the rental company that you will transfer your US car insurance (something you cannot do from Ireland I am guessing) and that is why it may be cheaper. Obviously you will get found out but what implications it has i don't know.

It's an insurance issue. You must tell the truth, and pay for the extra cover.

I found it cheaper on two trips to the USA to arrange car hire from here when booking my flights. I travelled through Trailfinders of Dawson St.

I would not skimp on insurance. Not obligatory to be fully insured in the States, but, worth the money for peace of mind. Someone on the forum who workes in insurance will be able to give the technical details, but, if you are in an accident and not fully insured, charges... monetary and legal... can quickly mount!

You would be bonkers not to get the CDW or LDW (both the same but depends where you hire the car). It is expensive, but you could be looking at a bill for several thousand dollars if you crash the car.

Most of the main car hire companies do a prepaid rate, where you book it a week or more beforehand. You get an all inclusive package which includes tax, insurance etc. Usually much cheaper than turning up at the rental counter