Rent cap when renting rooms in a house

paddy328i

Hi,

Can't find an answer on this, maybe somebody here can help.

Scenario:

I've a house rented out
I let each room separately as the various tenants move out
4 bedrooms
4 Individual tenancy agreements and all reg'd with RTB - blah de blah....

One of the tenants (been there 3 years) is moving out shortly. I've never bothered with rent reviews etc as they are good tenants.

However, the rent is very low so what happens with setting the new rent vs 4% cap rules?

4% of what, the room rate? The total house rate?

The RTB site is useless for info.

Any experience with this welcomed.

Thanks!

There's a reason you can't find much info. You've possibly got licencees rather than tenants. A lot of tenancy rules don't apply if that's the case.

[broken link removed]

However, the rent is very low so what happens with setting the new rent vs 4% cap rules?

4% of what, the room rate? The total house rate?

You are renting out rooms separately therefore the new rate for the said room is capped and use the calculator in Bronte's post.

If you have tenants with separate eases then the rest of the house is jointly occupied by the tenants and you do not have the right to enter the house without the tenants' express permission.

If, on the other hand, you have licensees (in spite of you have a document stating "lease") then you have the right to not only enter the common areas but also the rooms rented (subject to a reasonable time and preferably when the licensee is in the house).

In my opinion you probably have the former.

Thanks for the replies,

licencees ... Never knew such a thing existed.

How could I find out for sure which situation I have?

Probably more beneficial to me, income wise, if i do indeed have licensees .

If you're not living in the house than you do not have licensees. There is no way you're going to be able to argue against that with the RTB.

Back