rent allowance

B

brianfm

Hi all,

I will be renting out my first property in a few months
and my question is what are the disadvantages of accepting rent allowance? Is it purely because the sum is likely to be lower.

thanks in advance,

brian.

i would ask why are they in need of rent allowance. is there some problem(s). people on RA would probably spend more time in the house - hence more wear and tear and maybe have less respect for it as well as they are getting it for free.

People on rent allowance may be on it for a variety of reasons

I have a tenant who is on it, because she is a widow

I would not describe or generalise in any way about people who are on RA
I am sure she did not want to be in that position

Generally, if you are careful with who you let to, as you should whether on RA or not, you will be OK

They will be definetly maying the market rate if not slightly better, 90% the money will be paid into your bank account direct and the possibility of them staying long term is greatly increased
It can be more hassle for them to move than your so-called young professioanls who leave after the 12 months of saving for a deposit of their own

If you get a family they may see it as a home and want to stay for a long time, explain that to the bank about vacant period(s) each year

[email protected]

90% per cent of money paid direct?

thanks all for replies,

it would seem the best course is to judge on a case by case basis and not a "rent allowance applicants need not apply" attitute which I have seen.
Oilean, I am curious about one particular point.

"90% the money will be paid into your bank account direct"

why not the whole 100%. Is getting the remaining 10% more difficult.

Re: 90% per cent of money paid direct?

Social welfare pay arounf 90% of the rent, the remaining amount is to be made up by the tenant

SW will also pay into your account if requested to do so

Therefore you will only ever have to collect the balance from the tenant(s)

[email protected]

Brian, you haven't said where your property is, so depending on the area you live, there's different rates per category of person.

For example a single parent with 1 child in the Eastern Regional Health Board i.e. Dublin will pay of maximum of €953 per month, whereas Western Heath Board i.e. Galway, will pay €175 per week or €758 per month (175 * 52 / 12). Have a look at this link for all the rates:

FYI: I'm accepting rent allowance now, and I've no problem whatsoever with the tenant. Like all perspective tenant's, you need to follow up on references etc that they give you.

thanks all,

bigberry, I am in cork city. that link is very helpful.

brian.

"SW will also pay into your account if requested to do so"

Any idea how to go about arranging this with the Eastern Health Board (Dublin) ? Our tenant is currently paying the total amount into our account. If anyone has gone this route with SW paying directly were there any issues ??

Back