Rent a Room Scheme - Type of Lease

P

Pythia

Hi,

Myself and boyf have rented a room in an apartment owned and lived in by the landlord (he has one bedroom, we have one).

He is trying to get us to sign a lease. It looks like the lease is one that you would use if you were renting a whole house to tenants, just that he defines the premises as everything except his bedroom.

Googling tells me that living with a landlord is subject to different rules and we should have a 'Licensee Agreement' instead.

See:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/ca..._a_room_scheme

[broken link removed]

[broken link removed]

I don't really want to sign this lease as it's saying we're liable for all damage, all bills, etc and basically doesn't seem to be correct. This is the first time I've had to sign one of these and I don't want to get into something that's not suitable.

The landlord says it's the right kind of lease but I don't think so.

Does anyone have any idea or experience?

Thanks!

Did you not agree things like responsibility for the bills before moving in?

At the same time you do have responsibility for damage that you might cause whether you are tenant or licensee.

If you don't want to sign it then don't. What's the worst that could happen.

he asks you to leave? So be it.

Can't really answer your question but you should be aware that under the rent a room scheme the most he can receive is 7620 pa, 635 pm in total. Otherwise the total amount is liable to tax subject to normal investment deductions.

Also, are you claiming rent relief? If not tell him that you intend to and ask him for his PPS number See [broken link removed]. Just to let you know that you don't need his PPS number if he refuses.

Get him to amend the agreement to you are each liable to 1/3 of bill etc.
Who's name is going on the bills?
Does he intend living in the house as his PPR?

I don't see the point of having a lease if half the things it in don't apply to me.
We said we would share the bills, now he asks us to sign something saying we will pay all the bills. It seems no bills have come through yet so nothing's been mentioned since.
Talked to him about it again today and turns out he's never read the lease and has no idea things are different when you live with a landlord.

The lease also states he can't come onto the premises unless he's there for business like repairs, ie he can't come into his own house.

I know all about tax relief, rent a room scheme, etc, thanks anyway.
Just interested in the lease details.