Rent a Room Scheme - Career Break

spinmaster

Hi,

I currently rent two rooms out in my house under the Rent a Room Scheme. If I were to take a career break to travel (say for 6 months), am I still eligible for the scheme?

It would depend how long you were travelling for.You should be occupying the property as your PPR to avail of scheme. Not sure there is a clearcut definition of what PPR is though. For the SSIA there was the ordinarily resident requirement which was 180 days in Ireland in the tax year -would this apply to define PPR

I don't think that the tax residency is necessarily directly relevant to PPR status. It's a bit unclear as to when and how your retain your PPR status while not actually residing in your home (e.g. when is 6 months away just a long holiday versus living abroad?). You probably need independent professional advice.

from revenue -
Rent a Room Scheme - where a room (or rooms) in a persons principal private residence is let as residential accommodation, gross annual rental income of up to €7,620 is exempt from tax for 2001 et seq.

It's room or rooms; furnished accommodation in the PPR up to a limit of €7,620 exempt of income tax or stamp duty claw-back. Link

Back