rent a car in ny is it easy to get around?

shrek

Hi Folks
heading to NY the end of the month for 5nights. Planning to go out to Jersey Gardens or Woodbury Common for a day. I Was thinking of hiring a car just for a day to do this with all the baggage i dont fancy going around the outlet mall all day long trying to drag a load of shopping bags with me. We are staying in midtown manhattan so just wondering if any of you have ever done this or is it easy to get around. We can log on to mapquest and that will give us a print out of the directions sounds great but in reality i need to know should we just suffer on and take the bus. Last year there was six of us and we booked a shuttle to take us from our Hotel out to Jersey Gardens it was €160.00 figured car rental for one day would be much cheaper?? Any advice ?
Thanks

If it was me I would go here it's the one in Riverhead NY that you want to look up, very easy to get to with a car and loads of shopping.

We hired a car in Hertz in Manhattan, once you go throught the midtown tunnel you get on the I-495 and stay on it till exit 73 and that's it.

It's very well sign posted to Riverhead as well as all the county courts are there which makes it very easy to find.

http://www.tangeroutlet.com/

strangely enough I was just pricing car rental a few min ago for the same set up, staying midtown going to woodbury.... So far both Enterprise and dollar were coming in around $60 for a days rental (8am to 7:30am next day).... As yet I hadn't read the small print regarding all the crash damage waiver, etc that always manages to add on a few more quid! Also as car is coming back next day (so far office I've checked have closed at 7pm, and I estimate i could still be in transit), is a nights parking would around $30-35 depending on exactly where we go.

But something to keep in mind is that most of the shopping outlets do have a central locker area so you can rent one and offload your bags during the day.

Back