Renovating Victorian house - where to put kitchen?

Dublin6

I have recently purchased a late Victorian mid-terrace villa type house (single story over garden level). The house is approx 1900 square feet.

The house has entrances at the first floor and ground floor. The ground floor entrance is at ground level (i.e. not subterranean).

All the living areas are on the first floor. Currently there are 3 rooms - a sitting room (approx 5.5m x 4.5m), a dining room (approx 5.5m x 4.5m) and a narrow room on the 'first floor return' (5.74m x 2.3m). The sitting room is at the front of the house, the dining room is behind the sitting room, and the narrow room is at the end of the hall, to the left and behind the dining room.

Downstairs there are three bedrooms (each with a small ensuite). The entrance to the garden is also downstairs.

There is no kitchen.

I hope you get the general picture. I am looking for some bright ideas. These are my primary concerns:

Question 1: Where should the kitchen be located?
Option A: The narrow room on the first floor return is the obvious place. But this room is too narrow to incorporate a dining area. Our 'modern' style of living would prefer not to have a separate formal dining room that you have to enter further up the hall.
Option B: I considered putting a kitchen into the dining room, but I have been told that it would be a sin! (due to the high ceilings, cornicing etc in the dining room).
Option C: The kitchen could go downstairs - though is it a bad idea to separate the living areas?

Question 2: If the kitchen goes in the narrow room, how could we 'link' the kitchen with the dining room (they do not share a common wall)?
Option A: I considered a modern suspended box-like structure that would attach to the side wall of the kitchen and the back wall of the dining room.
Option B: Extend out the back of the dining room (and bedroom on floor below) so that the dining room and the kitchen now coincide. Though this doesn't seem right either.
Option C: Extend out the side of the narrow kitchen room (and bedroom on floor below) so that the dining room and the kitchen now coincide. This is potentially the best option
Option D: Anything else? (maybe we should live the original layout!)

Question 3: (Finally!) Any ideas on how to link the upstairs living areas with the back garden?
Option A: External Steps
Option B: Incorporate Internal Steps into the narrow kitchen
Option C: ???

Thank you so much for any advice that you may have. I really don't want want to make a mistake and do the house an injustice. It is such a lovely house.

Are the neighbouring houses similar to your own? If so, why not ask nicely for a tour of one or two of them to get some ideas! If they've had work done symathetically, they may also be in a position to make personal recommendations.

I owned a beautiful Victorian flat in Edinburgh which was the first floor (ie middle) of a converted villa. The master bedroom and kitchen were originally one large room but the kitchen retained its beautiful cornicing and large sash & case window after the conversion. It could be a splendid location for a kitchen as long as you leave these lovely features in tact.

Thank you so much HMC for the quick reply! There are only two similar houses - one is run down and rented. The other is renovated, but they moved the living areas to the ground floor. Which seems a shame at the first floor rooms are much nice rooms.

I would like to put the kitchen in the dining room as it is big and bright. But I spoke to an Architect (as part of the Simon Community open day) who said it would be a sin to do this.

I have engaged an architect, but I would to get some ideas...

How about putting the kitchen on the ground floor, underneath the (now) dining room, and getting the fron ground floor room to be a dining room? this would assume you get rid of the bedrooms downstairs. Then you would have a nice drawing room upstairs, plus whatever you want to do with the dining room.

We will have this arrangement when we finish renovations in what I think is a similar house to yours. Remember that originally the kitchen was not such a big deal so might be relegated to a smaller, narrower room, but I think a kitchen is central to the house!

cheers,
Diziet

Back