Renovate or rebuild house in country?

Toby

Just looking into renovating a house in the country and the issue of knocking it and rebuilding has come up. The budget is around 100K so I'm wondering is rebuilding a viable option? If rebuilding we'd be looking at 1,000 - 1,500 sq ft. Would timber frame be worth considering? I'm wary of renovating as its quite old and who knows what problems will be unearthed meaning it'll be hard to predict costs. Thanks.

There is a guy in Ireland who represents Weyhauser (the largest timber frame crowd in the world I believe). Can't remember his name but if you wish I'll ask around. Sister had him quote last year (through his local agent) and the prices seemed okay to her. She didn't do it by the way!! She's still waiting to sell, move and do it in the new place. It was an extension to her kitchen/sun room

If I can find him then he should be able to put you in touch with either his parent company or a local dealer

Thanks but before I go to trouble of getting detailed quotes I was hoping someone here could give me an idea if about 150K is even close to enough to cover the cost of demolishing old house and building a 1500 sq ft timber frame house in the countryside or if I'm way off.

sure it depends on the labour costs of the area you are in as well as the finish?. you can build a modest bungalow type house for the €150k - but factor in Aga ranges and granite worktops etc etc and you are hitting the total €150k cost. I do not know how much it would cost to demolish and get rid of waste rubble though. Make sure the planning suits too - all to often they allow permission to build based on the existing dwelling staying put.

Thanks, finish would not have to be top quality as its only a holiday house. I'm sure demolition and removal of rubbish would add a lot so maybe my budget is unrealistic. Labour costs should be much lower than Dublin, its in the midlands.