Renewing Passport, planning world trip - large (66page) one?

Plek Trum

Hi all,

I am trying to save and hopefully will finally head a world trip in about 3 years time and currently need to renew my existing passport. My options are
(1) 10 year normal passport - 80euro

(2) 10 year large passport (66 pages) - 110euro

I havent travelled too far abroad up till now and am wondering if it is worth / necessary purchasing the ten year large passport (has 66 pages).

If anyone who has travelled can please advise me asap I would appreciate it - hoping to get the renewal off this afternoon (exciting far flung flight from Kerry to Dublin coming up :rolleyes:)

Many thanks!

have a look at Visa requirements for the countries you'd like to go too... some countries require you have a full page free for their visitors visa, if you are intending to travel to countries requiring visas you might be best to get the larger one

Thanks Millieforbes - I guess for the sake of 30euro extra it would be wiser in the longterm. Havent planned final (any) intinery as yet but Asia, Central and Latin America, Pacific Islands and others are on the list.

If anyone else knows from experience I would appreciate your imput also, ta!

I've done lots of trips and never needed a larger passport, lots of countries will just stamp on the same page as the previous exit stamp, though for example if you go to Hong Kong, and then to Macau and into China itself then back to Hong Kong via Macau that will eat up 3 pages so for safety's sake and seeing as it's only 30e I'd go for the larger passport.

Reason being, if you do end up running out of space and need a new passport it will cost you a lot more than 30e in phonecalls, hassles etc when you could be quite some distance from the nearest Irish Embassy.

I suppose for the sake of 30euro thats the way to go alright Dereko1969 - thanks for being the voice of good sense and reason ;0)

A number of countries actually insist on a free double page. A full-page visa goes on one, entry and exit stamps on the other. Shengen visa for example work like that (Shengen visa do not apply to you of course, but just to give an example).

So to be on the safe side, count two pages per country.

Back