Health Insurance Renewing health insurance, any advise appreciated.

Starrynights

Hi all,

I’ve been doing a lot of research and would appreciate if anyone has any experience or insights on these plans.
Laya inspire. (989.52)
VHI PMI 10 11 (998.96)
VHI PMI 35 13 (1031.39)
VHI PMI 14 10. (1043.69)

Extra info: Myself and my partner are currently due to renew our VHI company plan extra level 1 plan. They’ve quoted us 1368.09 each. Given everything that’s occurred were looking to reduce our costs by taking on hospital excess and less day to day cover. We are both 24 years old and have chorionic long term issues that we are serving the 5 year waiting period for should we need future hospital care. (1 year is complete). Therefore we do avail of quite a few day to day expense claims eg gp, physio, alternative medicine, occasional consultant etc. However our conditions have stabilised in comparison to last year and I don’t anticipate spending nearly as much this year. Eg going from twice a week visits at points last year to maybe once every 2 months now. To try narrow down results, I think I’m happy to accept up to 150 in hospital excess and 50% refund on day to day cover. ( We currently have 75%). We also have used swiftcare and find it very useful. It seems you get a lot more towards it then you do with quickcare from Laya.

I was also considering PMI 52 10 (970.51) and PMI 07 10 (1013.28) but they only cover 90% of specified level 1 non cardiac procedures. Upon asking VHI what this meant she said brain surgery and spinal fusion amongst other things. The spinal fusion part would have me concerned as its expensive ( she said up to 18000), but I realise I won’t have cover for it for 4 more years anyways, and I suppose I could upgrade the plan on year 4 to ensure I also meet the 2 year upgrade waiting period by the time year 6 arrives.

I understand it’s a lot of information. I am only wondering if anyone had any experience themselves it might help clear the cloud of information in my head.

Many thanks for taking a look!

Last edited:
Back