Health Insurance Renewal Time

SeoirseG

Hi Snowyb
My Health Insurance is due for renewal in April. My current plans are, my wife(52yrs) and myself(58yrs) are are on Laya Total Health Complete 175 and my son(26yrs) and daughter(23yrs) on Simply Connect Plus. The renewal for all 4 plans has increased from €370 per month to €443 per month and I was wondering if there are any similar plans for less or better plans for the same price. The current orthopedic and day to day cover are important and my daughter suffers from Crohns disease.

Thanks
SeoirseG

Hi SeoirseG,

Welcome to AAM.
2 Adults on Laya Total Health Complete 175; Price from 1 April 2020 = 1418 per adult.

The plan you both are on at the moment is expensive for the level of cover on the plan.
There are 2 alternative plans with better hospital cover worth considering. The following 2 Laya plans fully cover a private room in a private hospital.

1. Laya Connect Simplicity; price 1367pa; all public, private( including private single room fully covered), + 3 hi-tech Dublin hospitals covered;
private or hi-tech excess is capped at 150 x 2 max per year for all admissions, regardless of how many per year. Day case excess 100 per procedure.
There is no excess to pay in any public hospital.
Good day to day cover included, 1 euro excess, 50% refund for gp visits, consultants etc upto a max refund of 1000 per year. (50% of 2000 = 1000).
With this plan, there is the option to transfer any unused day to day allowance to your spouse/partner if they are also on this plan.

2. Laya Simplicity plan; price 1370pa; all public, private( including private single room fully covered), + 3 hi-tech Dublin hospitals covered;
private or hi-tech excess is capped at 100 x 2 max per year for all admissions, regardless of how many per year. Day case excess 50 per procedure.
There is no excess to pay in any public hospital. Good day to day cover included, 100 euro excess which means the first 100 not allowed,
50% refund for gp visits, consultants etc upto a max refund of 7650 per year.
With this plan, there is the option to transfer any unused day to day allowance to your spouse/partner if they are also on this plan.
https://www.hia.ie/comparison-tool/...Mb2NrIjpmYWxzZSwicGxhbl9kZXRhaWxfaWQiOi0xfX1d

If a private room in a private hospital is not a priority, there are good savings to be made. The following 2 plans are worth considering.
3. Laya Simply Connect; price 1265(from 1 April 2020); all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered; private/hi-tech excess capped at 150 x 2
max per year for all admissions. Day case excess 50 per procedure. There is no excess to pay in any public hospital. Good day to day cover included, 1 euro excess, 50% refund for gp, consultants,dental, etc upto a max refund of 500. (50% of 1000 = 500).

As you are based in Co Clare, the following plan fully covers all public and private hospitals + Beacon hi-tech hospital Dublin. There is limilted
day to day cover on this plan but the savings overall will pay for a lot of medical bills. Orthopaedic is fully covered on this plan and all the above
recommended plans.
4. Laya Essential Health 300; price 996pa; all public, private and Beacon hi-tech hospital covered; private excess capped at 300 x 2 max per year
for all private hospital admissions. Day case excess 125 per procedure. There is no excess to pay in any public hospital. Limited day to day cover,
but the savings overall will cover a lot of medical bills. Just 2 hospitals not covered, Blackrock Clinic and Mater Private Dublin.

https://www.hia.ie/comparison-tool/...Mb2NrIjpmYWxzZSwicGxhbl9kZXRhaWxfaWQiOi0xfX1d

23 year old options
The following 4 plans are worth considering, details as follows
1. VHI PMI 07 10 plan; price 863pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered; private or hi-tech excess capped at 150 x 1 max per year
for all admissions, regardless of how many. Day case excess 50 per procedure. Good day to day cover included, 1 euro excess, refund of 50% for
gp visits, consultants, etc upto a max refund of 1000 per year. (50% of 2000 = 1000). No cover for Whitfield Private Hospital Waterford, or Kingsbridge
Private Sligo.

2. Laya Inspire plan; price 824pa;( from 1 April) all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private excess 150 per admission,
day case excess 50 per procedure. Good day to day cover included, 1 euro excess, refund of 50% for gp, consultants,etc.
upto a max refund of 1000 per year. (50% of 2000 = 1000).

The following 2 plans fully cover a private room in a private hospital. Details as follows;
3. Laya Connect Simplicity; price 875pa; details as per above.
4. Laya Simplicity plan; price 977pa; details as per above.

26 year old adult option
The following 3 plans would suit a young 26 year old, covering all public and private hospitals.

1. VHI One Plan 250; price 926pa; all public and private hospitals covered; private excess capped at 250 x 2 per year for all admissions.
day case excess 125 per procedure. There is no excess to pay in any public hospital. Limited day to day cover.

2. Irish Life Benefit plan; price 965pa; all public, private and Beacon hospital covered; private excess capped at 200 x 2 per year for all admissions.
day case excess 125 per procedure. There is no excess to pay in any public hospital. Limited day to day cover.

3. Laya Signify plan; price 938pa; all public and private hospitals covered; private excess capped at 250 x 2 max per year for all admissions,

https://www.hia.ie/comparison-tool/...vY2siOmZhbHNlLCJwbGFuX2RldGFpbF9pZCI6LTF9fV0=

Note; Irish Life have a day to day seperate policy called 'Day to Day Most' @ price 158 per adult if he chooses Benefit plan.
Just ignore the second plan 'Day to day Me' as you have to choose 2 plans in a link;
https://www.hia.ie/comparison-tool/...vY2siOmZhbHNlLCJwbGFuX2RldGFpbF9pZCI6LTF9fV0=

There are plenty of alternatives to consider and savings to be made.

Regards, Snowyb

Back