VHI Renewal; 2 adults and 2 young adults VHI

Carrie22

I'm hoping Snowyb will help with this!
Adults on PMI 0710 and young adults aged 20 and 23 on Smart Plan 250 at the moment. Total renewal price is €3374.71. I want to stay in or around this price and am unsure if I am on the best plans. Could go a bit higher. Am in Limerick so not sure if we need access to Dublin hospitals. Looking at maybe PMI 3513 or 3613 for the adults but finding it hard to establish the real differences. HIA site very confusing. Don't want to downgrade from current plans for the adults.
No health issues with young adults. One plays sports so injuries a possibility. I want to stay with VHI for now as may need VHI International cover for 23yr old. I would be very grateful for advice.
Thank you.

Hi Carrie22,

Firstly for the 2 young adults, the following VHI are worth considering;

1. VHI Smart Plan 250; price 317(20 yr old) price 577(23 yr old); restricted selected list of public and private hospitals covered, 250 excess per
admission, day case excess 150 per procedure. Very limited day to day cover. There is no excess to pay in any public hospital.

2. VHI One Plan 250; price 332(20 yr old)price 662(23 yr old); all public and all private hospitals covered, private excess capped at 250 x 2 max
per year for all admissions, day case excess 150 per procedure. Very limited day to day cover. There is no excess to pay in any public hospital.

3. VHI Company Plan Plus Level 1.3; price 401(20 yr old) price 791(23 yr old); all public, private and 3 hi-tech Dublin hospitals covered;
private excess 150 per admission, day case excess 50 per procedure, good day to day cover included, 50% refund for gp, consultants, dental,
physio, etc upto a max refund of 1000 per year per person.

https://www.hia.ie/comparison-tool/...Mb2NrIjpmYWxzZSwicGxhbl9kZXRhaWxfaWQiOi0xfX1d

I don't know which son is into sports, but you can choose different plans if you want, to suit their individual needs.

Adult Options;
VHI PMI 07 10, VHI PMI 35 13, VHI PMI 36 13
Regarding the 2 adults, the only main difference between PMI 35 13, PMI 36 13 and PMI 07 10 is the private excess amount for admission or day case
in any private hospital. PMI 35 13 excess is 100 per admission or day case, PMI 36 13 excess is 75 per admission or day case, while PMI 07 10
excess is capped at 150 x 1 max per year for all admissions and 50 per day case.
The difference between these plans for day to day medical expenses is as follows; PMI 07 10 plan has a max refund of 1000 per year. Both PMI 35 13
and PMI 36 13 have a max day to day limit of 3200 per year.
Otherwise there is no difference regarding hospital cover.
Between the 3 plans, I would be inclined to choose PMI 07 10 because the inpatient excess is capped at 150 x 1 per year for all admissions,
regardless of how many. (Note; Whitfield Private Clinic, Waterford and Kingsbridge Private hospital, Sligo are not covered on this plan since late December 2019, which would not affect you given your location, but may be of importance to someone else reading this post).

Adult Alternative Option
As an alternative option well worth considering, Irish Life Benefit plan ticks a lot of boxes. Details as follows;
1. Irish Life Benefit plan; price 965pa; all public, private and Beacon hospital covered. private excess capped at 200 x 2 max per year for all private
admissions. day case excess 125 per procedure. There is no excess to pay in any public hospital. Very limited day to day covered.

There are savings overall of 550 per year to be achieved by switching to this plan. These savings would cover a lot of day to day medical expenses.
The only difference is losing cover for Blackrock Clinic and Mater Private (2 hi-tech Dublin hospitals) and the excess of 200 x 2 max per year.

https://www.hia.ie/comparison-tool/...vY2siOmZhbHNlLCJwbGFuX2RldGFpbF9pZCI6LTF9fV0=

There are better plans available for the 2 young adults and good savings to be achieved for the 2 adults overall if required.

Regards, Snowyb

Hi Carrie22,

Firstly for the 2 young adults, the following VHI are worth considering;

1. VHI Smart Plan 250; price 317(20 yr old) price 577(23 yr old); restricted selected list of public and private hospitals covered, 250 excess per
admission, day case excess 150 per procedure. Very limited day to day cover. There is no excess to pay in any public hospital.

2. VHI One Plan 250; price 332(20 yr old)price 662(23 yr old); all public and all private hospitals covered, private excess capped at 250 x 2 max
per year for all admissions, day case excess 150 per procedure. Very limited day to day cover. There is no excess to pay in any public hospital.

3. VHI Company Plan Plus Level 1.3; price 401(20 yr old) price 791(23 yr old); all public, private and 3 hi-tech Dublin hospitals covered;
private excess 150 per admission, day case excess 50 per procedure, good day to day cover included, 50% refund for gp, consultants, dental,
physio, etc upto a max refund of 1000 per year per person.

https://www.hia.ie/comparison-tool/...Mb2NrIjpmYWxzZSwicGxhbl9kZXRhaWxfaWQiOi0xfX1d

I don't know which son is into sports, but you can choose different plans if you want, to suit their individual needs.

Adult Options;
VHI PMI 07 10, VHI PMI 35 13, VHI PMI 36 13
Regarding the 2 adults, the only main difference between PMI 35 13, PMI 36 13 and PMI 07 10 is the private excess amount for admission or day case
in any private hospital. PMI 35 13 excess is 100 per admission or day case, PMI 36 13 excess is 75 per admission or day case, while PMI 07 10
excess is capped at 150 x 1 max per year for all admissions and 50 per day case.
The difference between these plans for day to day medical expenses is as follows; PMI 07 10 plan has a max refund of 1000 per year. Both PMI 35 13
and PMI 36 13 have a max day to day limit of 3200 per year.
Otherwise there is no difference regarding hospital cover.
Between the 3 plans, I would be inclined to choose PMI 07 10 because the inpatient excess is capped at 150 x 1 per year for all admissions,
regardless of how many. (Note; Whitfield Private Clinic, Waterford and Kingsbridge Private hospital, Sligo are not covered on this plan since late December 2019, which would not affect you given your location, but may be of importance to someone else reading this post).

Adult Alternative Option
As an alternative option well worth considering, Irish Life Benefit plan ticks a lot of boxes. Details as follows;
1. Irish Life Benefit plan; price 965pa; all public, private and Beacon hospital covered. private excess capped at 200 x 2 max per year for all private
admissions. day case excess 125 per procedure. There is no excess to pay in any public hospital. Very limited day to day covered.

There are savings overall of 550 per year to be achieved by switching to this plan. These savings would cover a lot of day to day medical expenses.
The only difference is losing cover for Blackrock Clinic and Mater Private (2 hi-tech Dublin hospitals) and the excess of 200 x 2 max per year.

https://www.hia.ie/comparison-tool/#/plan-comparison?plansAndProfiles=W3siaWQiOjEsImFnZSI6MjYsIm1pbk1heFByaWNlIjpbMCwxMzE3LjQzXSwibWluTWF4RXhjZXNzIjpbMCw2MDBdLCJwbGFuVHlwZSI6MSwicGxhbnNTZWxlY3RlZCI6WzEyNzMsMTMwMywxMzA5LDE2NjJdLCJwbGFucyI6eyJkYXRhIjpbXSwibG9hZGluZyI6dHJ1ZX0sInBsYW5zU2VsZWN0ZWREYXRhIjpbXSwiYXBwbGljYXRpb24iOnsidG9nZ2xlX3Njcm9sbExvY2siOmZhbHNlLCJwbGFuX2RldGFpbF9pZCI6LTF9fV0=

There are better plans available for the 2 young adults and good savings to be achieved for the 2 adults overall if required.

Regards, Snowyb
Thank you very much for your help Snowyb. I will look at all your suggestions.

Back