Renew Motor Tax early to avoid budget increases

DMcL1971

My motor tax is due for renewal at the end of January. On the assumption that motor tax rates will have increased by the time I get a renewal notice. Does anyone know if it is possible to renew my motor tax now for next year even though it isn't due yet?

some posters here have tried and apparently its a no go as per the motor tax office.

Just to check I contacted the Motor Tax office today.
I informed them that my motor tax expires on 31-01-2012 and asked if I could renew it now. Below is there response.

"Unfortunately you cannot tax your vehicle until the 1st day of the month of expiry which is 1st of January 2012."

Just traded in our car today for a 2 year old car, wasn't planned, but spotted it on dealer's website and was a very good deal, car exactly what we wanted. We were going to trade in next summer. As luck would have it, the motor tax expires 31st December so we can renew for 2012 at €156, doing this on monday. At least won't have to pay the old car tax of €333.

Prior to getting that trade in, we sent in payment and form for motor tax renewal for the old car, chancing our arm, just got letter back today saying can't tax it in advance for 2012.

Last edited: