Renault valve damage

sadie

Hi,

Need some advice.
Our Renault 2003 1.4 scenic 20,000 on clock gave problems the other day which appear could be costly to repair.

On our way down the country i noticed that the car started to loose power. Stopped in longford and felt the car shaking gear stick shicking rev counter going up exhaust shaking. Engine shaking.

Drove it to an exhaust shop he told us the exhaust was fine and it was a coil problem.

Drove the car to the nearest renault garage. He looked at it put the computer on the engine and gave us the bad news the engine valve had gone and would cost up to 1,200 to repair a big job.

He said we could drive the car but it would use up fuel would not preform very well.

We continued our journey but the engine light same came on on the dash and didnt go off had a quick look at the car manual and it said to stop immediately. Have hardly driven it since this happened at the weekend.

It was bought second-hand from an opel dealer just over a year ago. Should we go back to them or go to renault saying something so bad should not have happened to such a young vehicle.

Or just get it repaired and get rid quck?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Sadie ,

If its still under warranty from the opel garage...bring it back to them and get it fixed....then get rid

If not....fix it and get rid......see previous posts regarding the scenic engines particulary the 1.4 and 1.6...not very good

My advice....get rid and by a jap car....

Sounds like a coil to me. Same thing happened to gf's car - engine management light comes on, engine shakes on its mounts and there's no power - this is because the car is running on 3 cylindars instead of 4. Would check this out first.

If under warrenty go to origional dealer

How old is the car - remember that a good independent garage (i.e. no dealership attached - renault or otherwise) will do work alot cheaper

The renault garage we brought it to first replaced the coil, but the problem was still there. They suggested we get on to the Renault dealership as something like the engine valve shouldn't have gone on a car with only 26k on the clock. That's why we figure bring it to a Renault garage to repair rather than our usual mechanic...

Sadie,
Bring the car to a Renault dealer and ask him check "I.C.M." (he'll know what you mean) for a contribution from Renault.

We did ask them to check ICM, and Renault have agreed to pay half the costs of this repair which are going to be around 2,500 euros. Why would they not agree to the full amount, as this is surely a manufacturing fault and not caused by normal wear and tear for an 03 car with 26k on the clock... We are wondering should we try and trade it in as is with a Renualt garage instead.

This is a known product with Scenics. Happened to me, and a friend of mine too. Managed to have mine replaced free as the car was (just about) still under warranty.