Renault Megane

Happy Girl

Thinking about changing our 04 Megane and go for a new 07 one. Would we be better off selling privately (we could stand over it as it is in fab condition and 22,000 mls) and then approaching the renault garages to haggle on price of new one or is there much of a saving to be had by doing this.

As you're going for the same make, I'd be inclined to trade it in. If it is in good nick, they should be very interested in it. They also have a strong incentive not to make you a derisory offer, as all that would say is that the new one'll be just as bad. The problem with a lot of trade-ins is that the place you're buying from has no interest in it (ever seen a Hyundi in a Merc garage?), and they have to shift it on to the trade.

In theory, you are better off selling privately and haggling like mad for a discount on the new one, but it's a lot of effort and there are risks involved.

By the way, I'd still haggle like mad with the trade-in: try and go to more than one dealer and play them off one another.

If you sell it privately, you'll get more than the garage was offering, and then you can bargain for about 8-10% off the new one for a cash price.

For the sake of the €30 to put it on carzone with a few pictures, its worth the shot for a few weeks.
Much better for your pocket in the long run; the only downer is if your new car takes a while to come in; you could be without a car for that period

Anyone any idea what reasonable price to seek for 04 Megane 1.4 (16 valve) with 22,000mls on clock. Fab condition. Have no clue whatever as huge variation in prices for same type cars everywhere I look.

A friend of nine wanted to buy a new Renault and had a Renault to trade-in. The Renaut dealers did not want to take a Renault as trade-in
He ended up buying a Peugeot (not that they are any better IMO) as they agree to take his trade-in.
Trade-in was key for him as he did not want to deal with the hassle of private sale for good reasons.

Anyone any idea what reasonable price to seek for 04 Megane 1.4 (16 valve) with 22,000mls on clock. Fab condition. Have no clue whatever as huge variation in prices for same type cars everywhere I look.

One simple way to get a valuation is to use the Revenue's Web site that calculates VRT - see https://www.ros.ie/VRTEnquiryServlet/ShowVRT

It gives the "open market" price they value a car at, which in general seems to correspond to a trade price. You should do (slightly) better for a private sale, and the price you'll pay at a dealer for the same car will be higher again.

Of course, like anything, it's only a guide. I've found it can be both too low or too high, depending on the car, but it's a good starting point.

It seems to be around €9500, by the way (though I mightn't have get the exact model correct).