Removing White Water Stains From Wood

brian.mobile

Hi there,

My wife left a glass on our hardwood bedside locker at night - only had cold water in it.

It left a white ring stain.

Any ideas how to get it off? (the satin that is!)

BM

Presume you mean stain and not satin nightdress:) . If it is a bedside locker you could sand it down and re varnish it but if it requires the wood to be coloured i would thread carefully as this may end up with you having 2 different coloured lockers!!!! if you go to a hardware store i'm sure they could recommend a product to you. I remember one called stain off or ring gone not sure which but it worked a treat. Best of luck and remeind her to use a coaster in future as i am if it had benn u she would never let you live it down.

There is a list as long as your arm of possible remedies, but it all depends on the finish on the wood. The ideas in these two links are mainly ones that I have heard suggested before, and for the mostpart are reasonably safe to try without causing any further damage even if they don't work:

- Several options, including using an iron, using a mild abrasive, using lemon juice.

- [broken link removed] including mild abrasives, and mayonnaise.

askew70 said:
There is a list as long as your arm of possible remedies, but it all depends on the finish on the wood. The ideas in these two links are mainly ones that I have heard suggested before, and for the mostpart are reasonably safe to try without causing any further damage even if they don't work:

- Several options, including using an iron, using a mild abrasive, using lemon juice.

- [broken link removed] including mild abrasives, and mayonnaise.

Cheers!

Tried the lemon juice mild abrasive option.

The girlfriend is looking at me stupid.

Ta!

BM

On raw wood we use water to get out a water stain,
Johnsons Pledge to get out an oil stain and an Iron with a cloth under it to get out a dent.

Have also heard (it was recommended to me in a previous job by the suppliers of our very expensive new board room table) that a combination of cigarette ash and vinegar works. However, I cannot find the email with that information in it and never tried it so cannot vouch for it's effectiveness.

Back