Removing vaseline from carpet

Silvergirl

My lovely 15 month old daughter had a great time recently smearing a full large tub of vaseline into our beige bedroom carpet. We now have a huge grease stain in the middle of the floor, has anyone had any success removing vaseline from carpet? I tried using shaving foam as suggested by a website but to no avail and the rubbing is making the pile a bit hairy so I don't want to try too much scrubbing.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

There is some stuff that petrol stations use to absorb diesel oil spills. Perhaps this stuff, brushed in and hoovered out, plus enough heat to melt the vaseline? (I don't know at what temperature it liquefies, so this might not be a runner).

You could try using brown paper over the stain and ironing the top (low heat) to draw the grease out. It works for candle wax at any rate...

Sprite

There is some stuff that petrol stations use to absorb diesel oil spills. Perhaps this stuff, brushed in and hoovered out, plus enough heat to melt the vaseline? (I don't know at what temperature it liquefies, so this might not be a runner).
Fuller's earth / kitty litter (cement dust for bad spills) - don't heat the vaseline or it will certainly be a runner!

A low-heat iron over with heavy brown paper / blotting paper / kitchen towel over the stain as stated before will remove most of it, however as it is petroleum based, you will need a solvent to get the balance out. Lighter fluid on non-shedding rag will dissolve and mop up the balance - test this on a non-visible part of the carpet to make sure it doesn't damage the colours.

Thanks for all the replies - going out to get supplies this evening!

Don't want to go down the house insurance route if possible as this would affect my no claims - as I was informed when I enquired about claiming for something about 2 years ago. Was told that it wouldn't be worth claiming as I'd be worse off in the long run!

Anyway, I have the same carpet throughout the upstairs of the house so I'd rather not change it as the rest of it is in really good condition.

Thanks again - if something does work well I'll post the results!