Removing tarnishing from gas flame on stainless steel

1carrot2

Hi,
Last year we got a 'gas on glass' hob.
The base is glass, with stainless stell arms to place pots on.
The problem is that the gas flame tarnishes the stainless steel, and no amount of elbow grease or regular stainless steel cleaners go any way towards removing this tarnishing.
Just wondering if someone knows the secret, please!

Some tips which may work for you -

• Olive Oil: Rub steel with olive oil to remove streaks.
  • Vinegar: To clean and polish stainless steel, simply moisten a cloth with undiluted white or cider vinegar and wipe clean. Can also be used to remove heat stains on stainless steel cutlery.
  • Club Soda: Remove streaks or heat stains from stainless steel by rubbing with club soda.
  • Bread Soda Mix a paste of bread soda and water and rub, leave for a while and rinse off

I have found Milton or Tescos cheaper baby bottle steriliser to be miraculous in cleaning a stainless steel sink - not sure if it'd work on glass but its worth a try - just leave it sitting undiluted or lightly diluted on it for a while to work..........

MY DISCLAIMER - check first that this stuff doesn't have some bad reaction with glass as I am by no means knowledgeable in this area!!

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
Miselemeas, I'll try all those suggestions, and let you know how I got on.
(Toby, it is actually stainless steel, not glass I am enquiring about - but thanks anyway.)

Try a product called 'Barkeepers Friend' available in hardware shops and 'Pound shops'. Its a powder that you mix into a paste, leave for a while and rinse off. I've used it on loads of metals and it works well.

Clig.

If its stainless steel then I'd deffo try the Milton/Tesco steriliser stuff, it takes everything off our sink