removing 'stuff' from kettle?

positivenote

Hi all,
we bought this kettle a while ago for a 60 or so euro and recently ive noticed a light brown coating appear on the inside of it. This has started to flake off and is in the water of all our cups of tea. Having looked inside it this has coated the whole inside of the kettle. Does anyone know what it is and if it can be removed using anything... i cant my hand inside the kettle to wipe it off?
cheers

Is it limescale? You can get limescale removal products for use in kettles etc. Calgon is one big name for example. There may also be DIY remedies. Try Googling... Installing some sort of water softener/treatment might also be an option if hard water is a if problem. Don't forget that if this affects your kettle badly then it may also affect other appliances such as washing machine, dishwasher, central heating etc.

ah yes, the limescale. We cleaned ours last weekend with oust applicance limescale remover, sachet format, worked a treat.
If your water is hard, it'll start affecting other appliances too like irons, washing machines, dishwashers. For longer term fixes, you can get water softeners, or use a water filter jug for filling the kettle and iron, we have one of these and find we only get limescale buildup around the time the filter needs changing.
Longer term fixes include fitting water filters on your water source feed to the house. theres already a few posts on AAM if you want to search.

Citric Acid (you can get it in the chemists) is also good for removing limescale and doesn't smell as much as vinegar!

Citric acid can also be had in the form of lemon juice.Costs about 50c and does the trick very well. Just poor some ( half a bottle) of it in the kettle leave it for 15 mins or so, fill up with a a pint of water and bring to the boil, poor out and it's gone, be sure to use it every month or so.

We have serious limescale in our mains water (near Gorey, Co. Wexford) and decided only to boil bottled natural water in the kettle. Lo and behold, the element is full of what looks like limescale and the water is a cloudy grey colour if it's left in the kettle. I thought our problem was only with the mains - how do we get over the problem with bottled water?

Personally I would rather use vinegar than a shop bought limescale remover. I would feel happier having a little vinegar inside me rather than a host of chemicals! Just boil the kettle a couple of times after using vinegar.

What is the purpose of boiling bottled water? We have been using bottled water for years but I never use it in the kettle as boiled tap water for tea etc seems fine. I resent having to pay for bottled water in order to have a glass of water that tastes marginally better than tap water so to be honest boiling the bottled water seems like a waste of money to me.

We really don't know the quality of our bottled water either so I am not suprised that this too would cause limescale in your kettle. Would mineral water not have all the elements in it anyway?

Back