Removing skirting boards without cracking plaster?

stresshead

We had a couple of bedrooms replastered last week - we had removed the skirting boards in one room and told the plasterer to start on that, fully intending to remove the other set that evening for the next day. Anyway, he ended up bringing a couple of lads in with him and they plastered both rooms...in a day!

So now we have the horrible old skirting in one room - and we really want to remove it before putting laminate flooring down. Does anyone have any tips on how to do this without pulling off chunks of our lovely new plaster?

Almost imposible to do without causing some damage I'd imagine. How well were the other ones attached? Did you cause much damage taking them off? A bit of work with a filler should do the job unless the damage is significant.
Leo

What people most use is a bolster chisel to get the skirting off. Just take your time, it shouldn't be too much trouble. Also older style skirtings are usally shorter than the modern equilivant so any damage will be covered by the new skirting. The new skim covers the top of the skirting so you should run an angle grinder or very sharp knife down along the top of it to make a clean cut before using either the chisel or the hole saw.

I have in the past used a hole saw (usually used for driling holes in plastic tanks) to drill around nails and then pulled the nail and timber off with a vice grip. You can get the hole saw in B&Q.

http://limex.en.alibaba.com/product...its_Wood_Working_Tools/Bi_Metal_Hole_Saw.html

also have a read here (you have to scroll down to read the comments)
[broken link removed]

They were tough enough to get off. They are horrible skinny little boards, so I was intending to get thicker ones anyway. So hopefully a bit of patching and the new thicker boards will cover up any damage. Hopefully... I'll give it a go anyway, maybe behind the door to start!

scrape in lots of a fleetwood ready mixed polyfilla tub and sand with 120 grain sandpaper by hand afterwards and nobody will ever see where you filled that wall.

Back