Removing Personal Information From Insurance Companies Data Base

computerman

My car insurance is up this month. I received a quote from my insurance broker which is 200yo yos up on last year. I thought I would look around a few companies myself to see if I could get an alternative quote. I was surprised that everycompany I contacted had information on me ( from previous quote enquiries). One company identified me from a mobile number that I had used for an insurance quote 8 years ago!!

Can I get these companies to remove my information from their database?

Thanks

Are you sure that by signing an insurance contract at some stage you didn't give them permission to store and transfer your information for specific purposes for years to come?

Im sure. I was involved in another business about 8 years ago. We applied to an insurance company for van insurance. For a contact number we used a prepay mobile phone, we give these to the lads in the vans so we can control costs).

I phoned an insurance company and gave all the information requested. When they asked for my number I used the same mobile number. They were able to tell me the name I traded under 8 years ago!. As it happens I have always used a broker, I just call insurance companies to check that my broker is getting me the best deal.

I was just surprised that the information was still held and I would like it removed.

When you call for a quote you would usually be asked if you consent to them storing your details (they can't give you the quote unless you do) and then ask if they can contact you with advertising, special offers etc.

I know that you can get them to stop sending you offers, contacting you each year for quotes etc but I know that the regulator requests that all information be stored by the companies for a certain length of time (I think its 8 years) so I don't know if you can request your information to be removed totally when you would have given permission for it to be stored.

There are various obligations laid down on fiancial institutions requiring them to store data for a period of time. My understanding is that as a result of the various tribunals the Supreme court put an embargo on institutions destroying/removing anything, hence they are holding on to things far longer then they want to, as it is an expense for them