removing paint from wooden floors

annR

We recently painted our house but managed to get quite a few paint stains on the wooden floors. Nail varnish remover seemed to get it off without doing any harm but I need more for several rooms. Went down to hardware shop but couldn't figure out what the industrial equivalent is, couldn't find anything containing acetone. Any suggestions how to get the paint off? I don't know what the finish is on the floor but it's not wax. Probably polyurethane.

You can buy 'Painters Wipes' from good local diy shops. They are like baby wipes for paint! They are very effective at removing paint from tiles / wooden floors etc without any surface damage. I would go to a local diy store to look for them and not get the expensive ones that they sell beside the paint in Woodies etc.

Believe it or not most actual baby wipes will remove emulsion paint from wooden floors, skirting boards etc.. Know many people who use them to clean up splashes.

There's quite of lot of paint spattered around, I would prefer to buy some kind of cleaning fluid and use it with old towels etc rather than using baby wipes. I bought some white spirits and will try that.

I'd be careful with that on the wooden floor Ann - 'try on an inconspicuous area first' as they say...

B&Q do a pack of wipes which are specifically for this and are very effective. Still need elbow grease though !

Secman

We had similar problems but found that Nitromors (not sure of the spelling) did the job. As I recall it comes in two variants, a green and yellow container with one being more powerful than the other. This will cost a little more than other brands but is definitley worth it.

Nitromors will also remove the surface finish on the wood floor which I don't want.

Believe it or not most actual baby wipes will remove emulsion paint from wooden floors, skirting boards etc.

Must be full of alcohol
What do those baby wipes do to a delicate new borns skin?

Yeah it would make you wonder about the baby wipes alright and what must be in them! Paint is normal Dulux emulsion paint.

I will try the White spirits this evening. I even asked a guy in Atlantic Homecare and he hdan't a clue.

Back