Removing paint from uvpc windows?

J

Jackson

Hi there!

I just bought a house and I'm wondering how to deal with the windows. The previous owner has painted all the window frames inside and outside. The trouble is that they are not wood, they are white uvpc. They have painted all the inside with peach gloss paint! I like white personally so is there a way to remove it without damaging the frames? I think paint stripper would probably melt the frames. Or will I have to paint over it? Any advice is appreciated!

They've painted all the frames! Wow, first I heard of that. Check with the stockists or manufactureres of any removers first to see if they are suitable to use on uPVC. A sharp paint scrper used very carefully might be your only option, though that will certainly be a tedious job!
Leo

Thanks Leo!

I don't know why they painted them? Even outside they have painted them white over the white frames. It would have been easier just to wash them! Very unusual people I think

Can't understand how they got the paint to take to the uPVC? Emulsion or gloss would surely just float on the shiny surface or did they possibly use some bonding agent?

The windows may have been old and scratched so they decided to paint them for the sale. Sueellen you'd be surprised at easily they take paint. I was painting a wooden surround and got paint on the uvpc windows. I thought it'd wash off easily so I left it a while.........wrong...a flat blade and many hours later...and that was only a patch!!

Maybe they were trying to make them look more like wooden windows.

I think you might be right!

The house is only a few years old so there is no reason for trying to hide damage. They are rational windows and all the other houses in the estate have them and they are perfect. It wouldn't bother me really only that inside they are painted a kind of peachy colour!