Removing old attic insulation 'Stilmat Type K 1" Thick - is it dangerous?

MarkZ

Hi,

The house we live was built in 1960 and looking at the attic insulation, it was put down a long time ago. It seems to consist of flat paper bags that contain a yellow/brown fibre based material. Most of the paper around the insulation seems to have decomposed a long time ago. The label on the paper bags says 'Stilmat Type K 1" Thick' .

I would like to take this stuff out and put modern Rockwool in instead. My worry is that when the existing stuff is touched it generates a lot of dust.

Am I getting myself into trouble here? I have have a cheap dustmask but I really dont know whether this is sufficient. I'm imagining airborne fibreglass or asbestos.

Is removing attic insuation of this type dangerous? Do I need to get professionals involved?

Mark

Re: Removing old attic insulation - is it dangerous?

It has been recommended by various energy conservation information leaflets to top up insulation without removing whatever insulation is already there. Is this an option for you?

It is difficult to top up. This Stilmat insulation is mixed in with old carpet pieces, old clothes, rubbish etc. Its like a jumble sale between the joists. I think that 'any old crap' was used for insulation back then. Would prefer to start again.

Maybe I just need a decent mask and a head to foot plastic suit?

Mark

Back