Removing ivy residue

niallo34

I moved into a second hand house that had ivy all over the front.

I removed the ivy itself and used a scraper to remove a lot of the residue.

I also used a power washer for the lower part and this worked well.

Above the door and up though, there is still a black residue (where you can see the outline/shape of where the ivy was)

I want to paint the front of the house - two questions:

1. Is there an easy way to remove the residue?
2. Can I simply paint over it?

Cheers...

I don't know how to describe it exactly, but it's not pebbledash, it's not brick, it's a cement finish that's slightly rough.

The house is about 30 years old and hasn't been painted externally to my knowledge..

I used a small braising torch and wire brush to burn off the Ivy remnants on my house and it worked very well. Obviously there is a lot of care and attention that needs to be taken using a flame but it is the best way to completely remove the stuff.

Would that be safe for using while up a ladder?

I can use a powerwasher for anything reachable without a ladder..

Would that be safe for using while up a ladder?

My house is a bungalow so I just needed steps but if your talking about a 2 story house it may be a bad idea for your situation. If your palster finish is quite rough as you say then chances are you will not notice any marks under the paint.

I found out that the exterior of the house is made from Terolene (sp?).

A friend has a small torch used for roofing that can be used on a ladder - only thing is I have PVC windows...is there a danger of window frames getting damaged by the heat?

The correct spelling is Tyrolean.

Unless its Terylene, in which case a blow torch would not normally be recommended ;-)