Removing flexible Adhesive

Valhalla

Hello,

I need to pull up old floor tiles from a small upstairs bathroom. The tiles themselves won't be a problem, its the flexible adhesive underneath that was used that I'm dreading getting off. Must note that no plywood was used so the adhesive is on the actual floorboards.

Anyone have any tips to get the stuff off?

Thanks.

A [broken link removed] and plenty of elbow grease are probably your best bet. How good a result do you need? are you going to re-tile?
Leo

Leo,

Going to tile again over plywood, so I would imagine I need to get ALL of it off.

White vinegar should soften the adhesive enough to make it easy to take up with a scraper.

If you're going to tile onto plywood why do you need to get the adhesive off ? If yuo're puttin plywood down on top of the floor boards I would imagine that you just need to remove any lumps to provide a smooth level base and then screw plywood down on top of it.

The family might not appreciate the smell of vinegar all over the place but I'll certainly try it and see.

Leo, have you used the tool company that supplies that scraper you described?

If you're puting down ply, best thing would be to remove the old floorboards, otherwise you'll be raising the level of the floor quite a bit.

Alternatively, if you're not concerned about raising the floor, remove most of the adhesive, and use plenty of flexible gap-filling adhesive between the ply and floor boards. This should provde plenty of support under the ply and allow for any old stuff left behind. Also screw the ply down into place to eliminate any movement.
Leo

Leo said:
If you're puting down ply, best thing would be to remove the old floorboards, otherwise you'll be raising the level of the floor quite a bit.

Alternatively, if you're not concerned about raising the floor, remove most of the adhesive, and use plenty of flexible gap-filling adhesive between the ply and floor boards. This should provde plenty of support under the ply and allow for any old stuff left behind. Also screw the ply down into place to eliminate any movement.
Leo

Leo, are you referring to the standard flexible adhesive that would normally be used for tiling on timber floors or a defferent product?

You could use that or any general construction adhesive should have the desired properties.
Leo

Back