Removing Coving from centre of ceiling

Ballyman

My ceiling in all the downstairs rooms has the rough effect finish on it and in the middle, where the light hangs down is a 0.5m diameter circular coving. I want to remove tghe current light and put some spot lights on here but they look silly attached to the coving.

My question is, is it easy to remove this?? I presume it's just a case of a hammer and chisel to get it off?? It's made of plaster so I can imagine it breaking to pieces. Is there an easier way of getting it off??

Also, How do I go about getting the rough effect on the ceiling where the coving used to be as the spotlights are much much smaller in area than the coving!!

I want to do this in all the rooms as I don't like the circular coving where the lights are.

Thanks for your help

Old house or new?

This "coving" is called a rose and it is possibly held by a couple of screws. If you really want to get rid of it you could just gently prise it off with a flat chisel or somesuch, if you can't find the screws.

Not sure what kind of "rough effect" you have. Stippling? Brushed or sponged plaster? If it's stippling it might be as simple as just painting it on with a similar paint. But if it's more complex you might want to engage a good plasterer.

Old house, circa 10yrs.

I had a look at it last night and couldn't see any screws so I presumed it was plastered/glued in place. I'll have a closer inspection this evening with a torch.

I'm not sure what kind of rough effect I have either. It looks like the plaster was wet and you pressed a trowel onto it and lifted it. You'd have lots of little troughs and hills on it. I seriously doubt it was done this way though as it's in an estate and I can't imagine the builders going through this hassle when building it and it sounds much more likely to be painted on, although I have no idea how.

Edit: I just googled the three you mention and it looks most like sponged plaster which means I will need to get a plasterer in??

Is it possible, I wonder, when I remove the rose that this plaster is actually behind it or is that wishful thinking???

Quite possible - so go easy with that removal process. If it's only 10 years old it might well be glued - I was thinking of older ceiling roses that were quite heavy.

Back