removing concrete from whole garden

moneygrower

I see there are threads on removing patios etc. but what kind of a job is it to remove concrete from the whole garden, average suburban size, (personally think it's bizzare that someone would concrete a whole garden, different if it's just a patio sized area).

Is it better to get someone in or is it quite manageable to do it yourself? What kind of access do you need?
What needs to be done to the soil underneath to make it workable again?

hey money grower
im going to do this myself well not me personally my dad, brother and bf will be helping break up the concrete from an old farm. i priced kango hammers which makes it alot fast 35 to 40 a day for the hammer

that's very reasonable. I'm looking at buying a house in Dublin and I'm wondering how much of a negative it is, should we avoid houses with this or is it fairly manageable job. We would be looking at, at best wheelbarrowing it out through a pedestrian entrance, at worst through the house. I imagine it's a cleaner job with the space of a farm around you. Let me know how you get on what to look out for.

Removing concrete can be a relatively easy / doable job depending on a number of factors:
1. You are fit and well up to heavy hard work.
2. The concrete does not have steel mesh...
3. The thickness of the concrete.
3. You have a few friends who owe you a favour!

Depending on your time and your budget and willingness to put in a few days of hard graft it might be no harm to get a few quotes....

Top soil was probably removed when the base was being prepared for the concrete so if u lift the concrete you will have a stone base and under that subsoil (hard stoney / clay). More than likely you will need to get some top soil (brown fertile) if you want to grow grass or plants.

u can hire a kango hammer from a hire shop - use heavy duty gloves / eye protection and ear muffs. Once u break a hole in the concrete it becomes easier to chip away near the edges. If u want to leave some concrete for a drive hire a con-saw ( a cutting saw which eats through concrete - draw a line in the concrete and run the blade across the line)...

Best of luck...

Sounds all so easy! If the concrete is strong you'd be better to use a Breaker (Bosch Breaker) or even better would be a Hydraulic Breaker. Knagos would be too small and tedious for an extended area.

Be very careful using Consaws as accidents can easily occur especially if you are unfamilar with this cutting tool. Very important you also wear head protection (hard hat) when using consaw and to reduce dust attach a garden hose.

Would it be possible to get a JCB onto the garden. That would hurry the job up. I understand you could hire a man with one for as little as €600 for a day.