Removing a virus from laptop

Flymask

My laptop is protected by F-Secure Antivirus software with automatic updates. However, I recently did a manual scan of all files and found that 8 were infected. When I tried to disinfect/delete the files I received a message saying that 'This object could not be accessed. The file is located inside an archive'. The virus was listed in all 8 cases as Trojan Java Femad.

I am not at all technically minded so much of the security info etc is double-Dutch to me. What steps can I take to rid my laptop of the virus and what damage is it likely to be doing? Lately I seem to have been getting more non-responsive programs than usual. Could this be a manifestation of the Trojan?

Any help would be much appreciated.

If its an archive, more then likely the files are in a compressed ZIP/TAR file or compressed exceution file, you'll need to find and delete that file. You may be getting a false positive if its reading the files in a ZIP.
If this is something new then again, more then likely its something you recently downloaded and maybe sitting in a temp location somewhere. Get crap cleaner and clean the pc.

If youre getting more positives lately, try these
1. Use AVG
2. Windows Defender
3. Peer Guardian
4. Crap cleaner
5. Mozilla firefox instead of IE
6. Use the NOScript plugin with Mozilla. (its ad addon that stops scripts being run while browsing)

All links should be in clean PC post or easily found by google for, I havent had a virus in years just using the above and I would use the internet a lot.

Download Spybot S&S here http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Spybot_Search_and_Destroy/1043809773/1
Click download link
Once downloaded install it.
During the install process it will ask to check for updates, do this.
It will also ask to backup your registry, do this also.
Once installed click on the immunize icon and then click immunize.
Then run search and detroy process. Once complete click fix selected problems. Some infections may need a reboot to remove so confirm that you want to do this.

Thanks guys! Seem to have eradicated the problem. All seems to have been related to the MyWebSearch toolbar, which I found a bit strange. Anyway, it's gone now! Thanks again for the help. Much appreciated!!

Back