Remove scratches on car

who ru

Hi Folks,

well i had a good look at the car today and found quite a lot of scratch work on door panels. im sure they are a result of people parking too close in car parks and giving the doors a bang. i have the NCT later this month so am spending quite a bit of time on the mechanical side of things and if all goes well i would like to sell the car privately afterwards.

is there a specific paint i can use to get rid of these scratches? or would i be better of getting someone that does paint jobs to get rid of them?

thanks for any tips.

try something called scratch out, it comes in a little yellow tub, if there only light scratches it will do the trick, worked wonders on my car, if not id say leave it, touch up paint tends too stand out more than scratches in most cases as will always be slightly off

Getting a professional paint job done on the car is always very expensive, mainly because of the equipment involved and that much of the work paint-shops do is on newer cars and is often paid for by insurance companies.

It is worth it if the car is in otherwise good condition and is substantially disfigured as a result of bodywork repairs which really need to be painted to a good standard - no one would like to have a car that looks like its been bashed and badly repaired.

Car park scratches are a fact of life and - depending on it's age - potential buyers will expect to see a few scratches on a car and should not necessarily be put off, unless your scratches are deep as gouges, have created surface rust or are accompanied by mini-dents and other paintwork blemishes that make the car look unkempt.

Be v.careful if you're trying to spray areas of the car yourself using cans bought in the auto-factors. It is possible for the amateur to do a good job by following the instructions but its also v.easy to go wrong and make a mess of it too.

Try giving the car a good wash and polish (using a colour-coded polish if possible) and see what it looks like then before starting to make invasive repairs on scratches.

hi,

Yes Paulone i tend to agree with you - the car is a '00 and besides the scratches it looks relatively ok for it's age, no major bodywork damage or dents.

as i said in the previous post i'm concentrating on getting the mechanical side of things right before anything else. i know there are a lot of people selling their cars privately these days, and sellers with clean unscratched cars, that are also mechanically sound, tend to stand a much better chance of getting a quick sale.

here's hoping it all works out as i've already agreed a price on another second hand to replace my own.

A very good valet company can buff out scratches, so long as they are not too deep. Had it done a couple of years ago and was amazed at the result. A zillion times cheaper than a paint job.

Back