Remove back boiler

Delta

Can anyone recommend someone to remove a back boiler. Have lit a few fires during the winter and have been told its dangerous. Not sure what tradesman would do this.

A plumber would remove it, but cheaper and easier to decommission one, cap, drain and drill holes in the heat exchanger so no danger from lit fires.....

as someone completely ignorant regarding plumbing heating etc what are the main dangers concerning back boilers. I usually check the small tank in the attic which i think keeps water in the system. If for some reason there is no water in the back boiler is there a danger of an explosion.

If there is no water in the back boiler and a fire is lit, an explosion is not likely to occur, however, I have seen the steel buckle and lift the fireplace off the wall. The bang from the buckling steel could be mistaken for an explosion!

If there is water within the back boiler, in that it has been blanked off but not drained, the water within it when heated will expand and to such an extent, blow up the back boiler. This will be an explosion and a very dangerous one. Only last winter during the big freeze in the UK, an elderly woman was killed when she lit the fire when the pipes were frozen. The boiler blew and unfortunately she was killed as she was sitting in front of it.

One litre of water produces 1,600 litres of steam!