Removal of chimney breast

R

reddi

I am thinking of removing a chimneybreast as the front room is tiny.
The house is about 40 years old.the chimney breast was installed after the house was built and is jutting out into the room not centred etc.Does anybody know how much would this cost and is it a big job.The house is Semi detached some houses have chimney some dont.

Re: Removal of chimneybreast

No idea on cost but it is a very big job.

It should be started on the roof to remove the chimney stack and then down through the house to the ground floor, removing the breast as you go.

You will therefore need some roofing to fill the gap where the stack was; plastering in each of the rooms through which the chimney passed and, of course, redecoration.

You first of all need to ensure that the stack is not a joint one with the other half of the pair of semi's, as what you do could affect their house.

Good Luck.

BillK

no the chimney is not shared.Apparently the houses were built without chimneys.Afterwards people decided to put chimneys ,fireplaces in.Some did some didnt.I thought I could just take out the front room chimneybreast as it takes up an inordinate amount of space in an already very smll room.

It seems to me that you may have to remove the entire stack as most stacks rest on the actual fireplace itself. Its really one of those things where you would probably have to get someone to call around and evaluate the job. Maybe even an architect or structural engineer to come up with some suggestions. They will come up with suggestions by means of keeping the stack from GF ceiling suspended on some reinforcements. Then you could take the fireplace away.

Back