Removal of Chimney Breast

smmb

Had a look through previous posts but didnt find what I was looking for. We are removing a chimney from the back of our house (in the kitchen) - taking the whole thing out. The chimney is to the rear of the house and not visible from the front (have 3 chimneys in total). Has anyone managed to get any advice from Dublin City Council as to whether this does of doesnt require planning permission ? I'm not applying for permission for anything else (proposed extension falls under exempt rules) and would prefere not to have to go through the whole process for just this. Thanks.

Unless the house is on the record of protected structures I wouldn't think there would be a problem.

However a phone call to your local planner will sort this

Smmb,

We did exactly as you intend doing. We had a chimney breast protruding into our kitchen and completely removed it and extended the kitchen too. We didn't apply nor needed to apply for planning permission either - extension under 20sqm. Obviously an RSJ was needed to be put in place of the chimney breast and the upstairs chimney breast in the spare bedroom needed to be adequately supported during the process. Other than that there was no issues. Best of luck with it.

Back