Removal - black/mourning tie

zag

Does anyone know the protocol for wearing a black tie to a removal ?

I used to think that most/many men would wear a black tie to a funeral or removal (assuming they wore a shirt to start with) as a sign of respect or an indicator of mourning, but from recent experience it seems this is not the case and only close relatives (i.e. front pew people) have worn them.

I would be inclined to wear a black tie, but not if it is generally perceived as inappropriate in some way. Just wondering what peoples views are on this.

z

I think its really up to yourself if you want to and feel the need to wear a black tie by all means do so.

Unfortunately I have been to a few funerals lately and its really only family and close relatives and maybe close friends that would wear the black tie.

I know from going to funerals here in the west of Ireland most people go to the removal only and you would see very few black ties unless they were going to the church after or at the church for the funeral mass the next day.

A close relative of mine recently passed away. I was out of the country but was returning late the night before the funeral. I rang and asked one of my family to get me a black tie especially as I was saying a few words att he end of the funeral mass. I was told that I didn't need a black tie and as far as I can remember no one wore a black tie on the day

As far as I can gather, the black tie protocol is breaking down.

I was asked to do a reading at a relative's funeral where it was a directive from the deceased not to wear black, but then another older relative was critical of me for not wearing something black - he wasn't impressed when I pointed out my shoes were black.

I've seen people wearing black ties and also black armbands, but I think your tidy presence is more important at the end of the day rather than what colour you have on.

I think the bereaved will have more on their minds than the congregation's attire but I suppose it's always nice to look respectful - although perhaps not to the point of looking like an extra from The Blues Brothers.

its always nice to look respectful - at my own parents funeral some people turned up straight from jobs that would have them a little dirty like site work or certain trades and i didnt mind at all that they were in overalls or otherwise dressed down as what was important was that they had made the effort to come along.

By contrast one person whom ive never seen formally dressed turned up in a suit and i was touched by his efforts also.

i certainly wouldnt consider a black tie as inappropriate.

Just back from the funeral of a 70 year old man. The male 'chief mourners' wore black ties and black/dark suits.

Back