Remote access

BlueSpud

I am wondering if there is a remote access product (like RealVNC) that I can use to log onto someone elses computer over the internet. I have a couple of siblings abroad who have PC & broadband but have no support. I know a little bit about PCs & act as their first line phone support. Neither of their PCs are on a network, they are plugged directly to the internet. They do not have fixed IPs.

If you can then their PCs are probably not very secure! You might want to read this. With any such product you may need to work around firewall and, NAT and dynamic IP address issues preferably without compromising security (even temporarily) too much or at all. Perhaps something like NetMeeting (Start -> Run -> conf.exe) might help (you can do desktop sharing with it) and [broken link removed]? XP Remote Desktop might also be an option but I don't think that XP Home can share the desktop - only connect to a shared desktop from XP Pro.

if they have MSN Messenger (latest version) they can ask for help from a contact they have and this will allow you to remote control their machine.

you just need to set up some contacts and add each other to your lists.

Back