Remitting US bank funds to Irish bank funds from Ireland

Fulham1

Have bank account with Wells Fargo Bank in US. where I lived before retiring back to Ireland.
I telephoned WF from Ireland to request transfer of funds to Irish bank account. WF said that you have to physically carry out the transaction in a WF bank. Otherwise, the only recourse from overseas is to make out a Foreign Draft downloaded online, completed and faxed to WF. WF then mails it to friend's address in US who resends it to me in Ireland. WF will not send it directly to Ireland.
What are any other options available to what surely should be a simple transaction?

I have accounts at two U.S. banks, one with Wells, Wells are very poor at customer service and the scenario outlined is correct, in fact if you close an account with Wells, say a deposit account and want to open another they will not unless you are physically present, that despite a track record.

The other Bank I deal with are far more customer centred and that tranaction as outlined is straight forward. P.M. me for details.

Thanks, Palerider.
Yes, I would be obliged if you could let me know that straight forward bank. (WF may have a customer training issue alright).Do you think it might be possible to close WF bank a/c online and/or per telephone, and open new a/c in bank you mention from Ireland?
In the meantime, I may use XE Trade; their rate today is $1 = .77 euro and their wire fee is $22 to Ireland.

You can close the account at Wells by calling their toll free number, they will do that online, close any accounts, transfer balance to one account and you can write a cheque for that amount to close or maybe use XE Trade whoever they are.

Since the Patriot act was tightened up with financial instititions you will now have to be present when opening any bank account in the U.S. that affords you choice, just check before opening that they can meet your requirements.

Back