Relocation to Ireland- using talktalk broadband help!

S

suziey

Hi,

I am moving to ireland (temp to perm) and want to continue using talktalk as i got that free broadband for life deal. They say i just need to bring along my modem, telephone filters, installement disc and cables, plug everything in to my labtop and then I will be charged as I am now with talktalk.
Do i need to have broadband installed in the house we rent? am confused. I thought that by just plugging everything in, I would have broadband?

Also, if i stay in ireland permanently I was told that I could pass on my landline number from the irish equiverlant of BT to talktalk and they would give me the same t & C? does this seem right? i operate my business online and am a bit worried it will all go pearshaped. Any help appreciated (from a very untechnical - but learning fast! individual!)

Do i need to have broadband installed in the house we rent? am confused. I thought that by just plugging everything in, I would have broadband?
Definatly not quite that simple. Not all phone lines are capable of receiving broadband (depends on the local Eircom [= BT equivilent] exchange), so simply hooking up your existing equipment will not guarantee a BB connection.

I've never heard of a transfer of BB the way TT described it.

I'm open to correction on the exact steps, but I would have tackled it by....
a) ensure the phone line is suitable for broadband (if renting the chances are a previous tennant will have had a landline. You can check the number from this on a few websites (the Eircom website allows this) to see if you can recieve BB [the landlord may be able to confirm this in advance])
b) set up the phone line (re connection) with Eircom
c) transfer the calls/bb/line rental to Talk Talk (if that option is available)

Are you asking whether or not you can transfer a UK broadband service to Ireland?