Relocating to Meath

edenjohnny

Hi this is my first poston this forum, I hope i,m in the right place,. Well here goes. My partner and I have paid off our mortgage on our home in Sandyford, a detached 3 bed in a cul de sac. We are both involved in horses and have seen a 4 bed detached bungalow on 1 acre and a further 8 acres near Kells. The asking price for our house will be 635,000. the asking price for the stud farm is 450000. It is situated 3 miles from the new proposed M3, which will make commuting for my partner to Dublin much quicker. Will this new Motorway increase the New purchase? Are we doing the right thing, mortgage free and nearly 200,000 in our pockets.

and have seen a 4 bed detached bungalow on 1 acre and a further 8 acres near Kells..................the asking price for the stud farm is 450000.

Is this a wind up?? Is it REALLY that cheap???

If so total nobrainer!!
I didnt think you'd get 9 acreas anywhere in Ireland for that kind of money, with or without a 4 bed bungalow!

Well take a look under myhome.ie searching Kells and there are houses there at that price with similar spec..this is an example of a lovely house now in that price range..

[broken link removed]=

Hi, not a wind up , House is 15 yrs old a little bit dated , 2oldish people live there family grown up and fled the nest. Outside gardens are pristine, and the land is good and gently sloping to a flat area for my stables and asrena. Do I go g for it? I was on to the agents today and the intersection for the M3 will be 3 miles away .

When is the M3 due for completion, my hubbie refused to move to Navan coz he said the N3 is so bad but if there was a sign of the M3 we would do it but apparantly it's years away now like 2012??. Maybe someone with more info can clarify?.
Well, if I were in your shoes I would go for it, mortgage free, lovely home and Kells seems quiet nice!!.

Hi kildrought it is the asking price, and I will be making a LOWER offer. I am also wondering it is quite cheap. It is north west near virginia . Possibly a bit out of commuting distance , but with thenew M3 coming on stream it shioukd be a proposition, what do you think?

Hi headache city, as your name implies you are fed up with the CITY. I believe, and hope that the M3 is starting next spring and should be fa=irly quickto complete as it is rural area . I hopes they dont find too many remains. I think I have to buy now before it is built or else the prices will escalate .

make a similar move ourselves recently and so far so good.

It does sound very cheap for house + 9acres --- agricultural land in meath goes for about 15k an acre so they are saying the house is worth about 300k. If the house is 15years old then expect that the septic tank and well water will need updating

Make sure you are not near either a planned dump, quarry or other such NIMBY things

Things we noticed about living in the country....

- people drive very fast (and dangerously) on the small roads....
- N3 is currently a major traffic blackspot from 730am to 930am and 530-700pm each day. Avoid it if you can....(i dont think the M3 will change it one bit as the bottleneck is arounf clonee and dunboyne...)
- decent restuarant and take away food is in short supply.

PS why not rent out your existing house --- prices of houses in good areas of Dublin (like Sandyford) will always increase.

Hi kioytee0, If we rent the house in sandyford we will get say e1400 per month , then we have to take out a mortgage to buy the Meath property . I dont know if I want to go that route. I did think that way a year ago but i like the idea of having cash in my pocket(bank) and my house and land paid for.

I say go for it if you don't mind the commute time.

How long would commute be? 3 hours a day?

For me that would be a total deal breaker, but alot of people don't seem to mind, if you don't I would go ahead.

It looks like a fab investment!! You'll have to start investing in gardening books, the possibilities are endless!!

Have you gone to the local County Council offices to see what plans are afoot other than the M3? What general building will be taking place in the area in the near future?

They probably won't tell you but ask agents what plans exactly are there for the area and if you should be aware of any problems with the house?

If at all possible try talking to some of the locals (maybe in the nearest pub) to see what they have to say about the area. They may be friends of the owners so general enquiries might be best. If possible check the area/commute out at different times of the day/week.

Expect 3 to 4 hours per day commute outside of holiday periods. The road into Kells can get fairly bad traffic too.
The M3 will bring traffic quicker to the Clonee/Blanchardstown/M50 bottleneck, so in my opinion congestion here will get WORSE. No rail link from Navan is a scandal, so no alternative to road for commuting.

If they ever do the sensible thing and re-open the Navan railway line as a commuter line you will be laughing.

It is quite possible that this will happen in the next few years, but only after the motorway has been built. The first priority for the government is to put in the mororway in order to increase the value of the land around the intersections, otherwise the crowd will be smaller in the tent next July!

On a more serious note, the only thing stopping Irish rail from re-opening the railway line is the headscratching around the thruput of trains in Connolly station. One of these days they will remember that they have an unused space in Cabra that was formerly called Liffey junction station, and then they will be able to run a service from there to Navan, linking with the existing Arrow service.

I'm living 7 miles from Kells on a farm with land. That price sounds too good to be true... Sure there are no hidden snags?

Hi finegan1 , no the price is right. But however, I got a call from yhe agents saying they have an offer of 355,000 on the house with 1 acre, and the vendors probably will accept. I want the whole lot or nothing. Unfortunately I cant make an offer unless I sell , or have a contract in place for my property here in sandyford . Otr do I make an offer and get bridging finance, tricky one as this does seem remarkably cheap. HELP!!!

Give me an idea where it is and I'll try and check it out for you... A bit bold but...

OP - no offence but are you sure it is for €450k ALL IN - I had a quick look at potterton's site and they seemed to indicate it was €550k all in - more realistic site cost at current land prices